Lost my motorbike licence

P

Just been looking at my driving licence and the DVLA have nicked my motorbike class.

It's on the old red one from the 70s.

Has anyone got the DVLA to put this back onto their current licence?

(Sorry, its a UK licence and not a French one).

Paul

Sunday Driver

Yes that was the test, you drive around the block one way, the examiner the other and, when you are least expecting it, leap out in front of you.

Seems to be a little bit different these days.

Paul

Don't want to be a downer but I think I am correct in that the DVLA records only go back as far as the mid to late 70's. Before then they do not have the complete details and therefore you could be unlucky to have to take your test again. If that is the case you will probably, if not certainly have to do the CBT/ DAS (Compusory Basic Training/ Direct Access) as it stands at the moment. Your best bet in this case is to contact the DVLA, to check your licence particulars and if you do have to retake everything, book yourself an intensive course 2/3/4/ days in the Uk. Don't even consider the French route. Once you have passed your test you can then exchange the licence if you want to go for a French one. Courses for 2/3/4/ days on average to include bike hire CBT/DAS/ Test fees etc  run between £250-£550 as a guide depending on where you live etc. Try www. dsa.gov.uk  which will give you full details of what is involved and the location of your nearest Training Body. Hope things will be more positive for you,

Aitch

This is exactly what happened to me (I took my test in May '75) - I ended up taking another test (thankfully before they changed the rules). I went to a training school in Bristol who handled everything (inc the Brazil-built Honda 125). This was 1995.

The DVLA were no help whatsoever. I was lucky that, as the problem came to light as was riding my 650cc Turbo Suzuki XN85 (what a pile of pooh that was) and was stopped by the police, I wasn't prosecuted (for no licence or insurance etc etc).

Thanks for your replies.

Been on to DVLA - they have me recorded as having a full bike licence. I then placed the card bit of the licence under a microscope and could make out that indeed the bike bit was on it.

Whether I will ever ride another one is another story - last rode one in the early seventies [:-))]

[quote user="P"]

...... I then placed the card bit of the licence under a microscope and could make out that indeed the bike bit was on it.

Whether I will ever ride another one is another story - last rode one in the early seventies [:-))]

[/quote]

Your eyesight was probably better then.....[;-)]

That's a relief. There have been a number of people who 'lost' their licences when they were replaced with card ones. Even one case of a police motorcyclist who discovered it had gone. I saw DVLA on a programme (watchdog I think) squirming over this one. Terrible.

I took my bike test in 1981 before car test in 1985 and still have pink paper one so will be very careful when it comes to getting a card one.