Home Appliances

We are in the process of selling our property in the UK and want know whether we should bring our existing Kitchen appliances to France with us, or whether to buy in France.  Firstly, will washing machines, dishwashers etc work OK in France. Secondly, are the prices comparable to UK prices?

Would be grateful for any feedback or advice...

Thanks,

Kate

Decent quality I would say is cheaper in the UK. I have recently bought a bosch dishwasher, got a bargain here of 620 euro, same model in England was £320 and I am feeling rather fed up, thing was I couldn't wait until we move back. So one just has to pay up sometimes.

The cheapest, well, I don't suppose that there is that much difference.

A recent comparison between white goods in the UK at Comet and Currys (not necessarily the cheapest places!) and Darty and Leclerc here showed the French equivalent make and models to be 10-25% dearer in France. I seem to recall they used Bosch, Indesit and AEG brands.

Brown goods, interestingly, were generally cheaper in France, from memory.

If you already own them, bring them, they will all work. But don't buy new just to export to France. Imagine yr annoyance to unwrap and find something DOA.

We have bought (too) many white goods new here and, provided that you don't want latest model, top of range then prices are not too bad. Have not had to use after sales or warranty service (which according to this forum range from non existent to deplorable) so cannot comment. Our supplier is a local cheapo, end of range, ex display, slightly pockmarked etc which may explain his keen prices.

BTW don't forget yr "Y" adapters to make the d/w etc cold fill only (gives a better wash anyway).

Good luck anyway, whatever you decide.

John

not

A word of warning about bringing the washing machine though.  French washing machines heat their own water and in most houses, the plumbing for the washing machine will only include a cold and not a hot inlet.  So, you could find yourself doing cold washes only if you bring your English one!

I don't understand that Sophie b, we brought our washing machine from England and put it on only cold fill as that is what is done here. But it did heat the water itself. Surely brit washing machines are still clever enough to do that.

Quite right TU!

If you bring a UK machine that needs hot and cold inputs, you connect them to the cold water supply using a "Y" connector. The only downside is that it takes a lot longer to warm up, and uses more electricity. I have always assumed that French sourced machines might have a bigger heater element to allow for this, but as the French are much keener on low temperature washing than the Brits perhaps they don't bother.