Controle Technique and old bangers

Mulsanne

Morning,

Has anyone had any experience of putting classic cars through the CT? I am moving to 49 and am choosing

to register the cars with normal Carte Grise rather than the collection variety, as I intend to drive them beyond

the neighbouring Départements. I lived in Germany before and went through the TUV and that was a fairly

traumatic experience. Both cars are regular MOT passers, but just wondering how kind testers tend to be.

Thanks in advance.

If your cars will pass a UK MOT, then they will have no difficulty in passing the French CT.

A potential  problem in applying for a normal carte grise will be obtaining a French national type approval certificate.  That's why many people register their classics as voitures de collection because type approval is waived if you have an FFVE attestation.

Note that even for a voiture de collection, you need to have a no fault CT before you can register it.  The departmental driving restrictions are being lifted from 1 January, although I understand you will still not be able to take the car outside France.  The age limit is also being raised to 30 years and CTs will also be required every five years.

So, what sort of cars do you have?

Thanks to both of you.

As I will need to get a CT done anyway, I might as well register them for a normal CG as it then allows me to drive them out of France (Thks Sunday Driver).

One is a lhd 1967 Austin Healey 3000, the other a  rhd 1960 MGA roadster 1600.

I've looked on the FFVE site now and it looks very informative. Thanks v much

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]The departmental driving restrictions are being lifted from 1 January, although I understand you will still not be able to take the car outside France.[/quote]If true this is fantastic news because I'm decamping UK for The Lot (Prayssac) early next year bringing my 69 MGB with me.

From what I'd read so far it I could see it was going to be a nightmare getting it registered so was considering the FFVE route.

ABP will issue an attestation for your 69 MGB - just send them a copy of your V5C and a cheque for 150 euros made out to ABP.  The contact there is Patrice Vatier.

Sort out some LHD headlamps ready for when you come to France, then when you arrive here, get a quittus fiscale VAT certificate from your local tax office to cover you driving the car over here.  Fit the headlamps, then get a CT done.  Then go to your prefecture, fill in a demand de certificat d'immatriculation and hand it in together with the quittus fiscale, ABP attestation, CT certificate, V5C registration document, passport and a utility bill.  Pay the fee and walk out with your new carte grise.

You can do the whole thing in a couple of days.....[:)]