adding a temporary drive to Frech car insurance

Gyn_Paul

Sorry if this has been discussed before but can't find any reference to it using the search facility...

I need to add an additional (non family) driver to my French insurance for a month or so. He is a French resident.

I faxed all of his details (name/address/dob/length of licence etc) to my insurance agent yesterday, who rang me this morning and said that, provided the chap has had a full licence for more than 3 years, he can drive any vehicle ( with the owner's permission, obviously!).

This sounds alarmingly vague.... I'll be the first to admit my french  - especially over the phone - is not of the highest order, so I am just slightly worried that I've missed something...

Is this really the case ?

If so, is it limited to French residents? In other words, can my brother-in-law, visiting from the UK, for example, drive my French cars ?

thanks

p

French motor insurance policies operate on an "any driver" basis.  However, if the additional driver has held a licence for less than three years, then cover is provided on an occasional driving basis only - eg, you can't insure your 18 year old son's car under your own name (and NCB!) for him to drive all the time. 

Whenever an inexperienced driver is driving your car, the policy excess is increased to reflect the change in risk. As Cooperlola says, there is usually no extra charge payable.

Thank you all for the swift and comprehensive replies: the agent did explain that if the driver had had a full licence for fewer than 3 years he would be treated as an 'amateur', and the policy incresed to reflect this.

Not an issue for a 48 year old who's held a licence since he was 19!

happy christmas,

p