Code de la Route

sid

I see many posts on here which quote the "Code de la Route". Out of curiosity, and also because I thought I needed to brush up on the regulations here which may be different from UK, I decided that I ought to obtain a copy.

I suspect that not all of us take the trouble so I feel slightly smug! [;-)]  However, it took me ages to find one, given that we live out in the sticks. In the end I found a 2006 version of the Michelin Code de la Route at 15,90€ but it is aimed primarily at new drivers. That's OK, after all I'm a new driver (here!), and the text is clear and supported by photographs, but there's not much detail of offences; for example I heard that it is an offence not to dip your headlights for oncoming traffic; is it? How is it enforced? Also I can't find anything to explain the overtaking signal you see on the motorway where the overtaking driver leaves his left indicator flashing whilst passing all the slower traffic, often for a kilometre or more, and not just for changing lane. Or the one about immatriculation plates being riveted on, not bolted; or is that a "Construction and Use" regulation equivalent. If so, where would I find this?

I've still not understood properly the "red cross" traffic signal; in the few instances I've seen it doesn't help me in practice. [8-)]

Does anyone (SD ???) have any recommended reading? 

On a final note, it really is a pleasure driving here!

Sid

[quote user="sid"]

I can't find anything to explain the overtaking signal you see on the motorway where the overtaking driver leaves his left indicator flashing whilst passing all the slower traffic, often for a kilometre or more, and not just for changing lane.

[/quote]

Possible reasons:

1. Forgetfulness
  2. Old Citroëns with non-cancelling indicators
  3. Loud music drowning out the "ping, ping"
  4. To draw attention to themselves in case anyone they are overtaking is thinking of pulling out
  5. To show "I am not pulling in yet, I am carrying on in this lane for as long as I like even if there is a huge gap I could pull into to let you by, so tough titty if you want to pass me".

Absolutely nothing to do with the Code de la Route.

The  French "highway code" book is the Code Rousseau but what you have sounds very much the same.  As to the various French driving habits (especially the way indicators are used) - everybody else is probably as much in the dark as you!  Although signalling on roundabouts, for instance, is theoretically pretty much the same as the UK, I know from a young French lad who has just passed his test, that his instructor told him to indicate left as he enters a roundabout and turn the indicator off just before he leaves!  Bizarre.

As for not dipping your headlights for oncoming traffic, well you wouldn't do that anyway would you?

[quote user="cooperlola"]

I know from a young French lad who has just passed his test, that his instructor told him to indicate left as he enters a roundabout and turn the indicator off just before he leaves!  Bizarre.

[/quote]

Explains a lot, though ...

[quote user="Cassis"][quote user="sid"]

I can't find anything to explain the overtaking signal you see on the motorway where the overtaking driver leaves his left indicator flashing whilst passing all the slower traffic, often for a kilometre or more, and not just for changing lane.

[/quote]

[/quote]

It's just used to indicate to vehicles being passed and vehicles following that the manoever is not yet completed. HGV drivers do it all the time and if done properly is OK in my book.

[quote user="sid"]

I've still not understood properly the "red cross" traffic signal; in the few instances I've seen it doesn't help me in practice. [8-)]

[/quote]

Sid

The Red cross is to indicate that the oncoming traffic you are facing across the lights has halted. So that you can turn left without worrying whether someone is coming in the opposite direction.

Gary - Yes, I know what it's intended to show, but my point was that it's not in the Highway Code. It's so common that I thought it must be something that's taught or recommended, but it just seems to be an 'accepted' habit.

Not old enough for a Beemer? Well, that's OK then. Do you ride a Triumph Sprint (I see your avatar)? Nice bike. I have a VFR.

Going back to the driving habits, it is very odd, as already remarked, how roundabouts are tackled; often you see drivers going all the way round in the righthand lane to take an exit halfway or three-quarters round.

Sid

Fulcrum

I gathered that was the meaning, but there's one on the 'old' N10 in Ruffec where there's a "no left turn" at the lights (near the hospital for anyone who knows the town), so I fail to see the point of it. I presume there are more sensible occurrences elsewhere.

Sid

Sid - give yourself a big pat on the back and exude smugness everywhere!

You cannot realistically drive safely and within the law in France if you don't know what the French driving regulations are.  I suspect very few people even know that the code de la route exists - and even more frighteningly, that things are different here to back in the good old UK.......[:-))]

You can find the full legal version of the code de la route [url=http://www.lepermis.com/Pages/Secu_Rou/index.htm]here[/url].  Just click on "Code de la route, Journal Officiel", then on "Code de la route".  The code is split into sections relating to General Dispositions, The Driver, The Vehicle, and Use of the Road.

For example, the rules and penalties for not dipping your headlamps for oncoming traffic are:

Livre 4

Titre 1er Dispositions générales (Articles L411-1 à L417-1) (Articles R411-1 à R418-9)

Chapitre VI - Section 2 : Eclairage et signalisation de nuit, ou de jour par visibilité insuffisante Feux de croisement

The relevent sub section is:

III. - La substitution des feux de croisement aux feux de route doit se faire suffisamment à l'avance pour ne pas gêner la progression des autres usagers.

And the penalty bit is -

V. - Le fait, pour tout conducteur, de contrevenir aux dispositions du présent article est puni de l'amende prévue pour les contraventions de la quatrième classe.

Some other interesting offences which (unlike the UK) involve a potential three months driving ban:-

- Failure to signal when changing direction or driving lane (that's why everyone signals when pulling back into the nearside after overtaking someone - not a legal requirement in the UK)

- Failure to give way

- Failure to stop at a stop sign. 

- Driving without headlamps in reduced visibility (eg rain or fog).

- Crossing a continuous white line.

- Stopping or parking in a dangerous position.

Finally, here's one rule I bet no-one knows about:

Livre 4

Chapitre II - Section 2 : General traffic principals for Safeguarding the Environment

In the event of infringement of the regulations concerning the safeguarding of the esthetics of sites and classified landscapes, vehicles may be impounded as prescribed under articles L. 325-1 to L. 325-3.

So if you park up in a layby with your girlfriend and you're blocking the view to a historic monument....[;-)]

Sunday Driver

As usual a very comprehensive response! Thanks very much for the link, it's exactly what I wanted, although I suspect it's going to take me some time to wade through it!

And the red cross, well, I didn't think about pedestrians... a common mistake methinks!

Bonnes fêtes à tous!

Sid

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]The Red Cross is classified as signal number R21a and is defined as follows:

"A fixed red light in the shape of cross of Saint Andrew means that traffic is prohibited from proceeding on the road beneath it.[/quote]

Here's a curious detail:  St Andrew's cross in Britain means a cross at 45º to the horizontal and vertical (and I've checked that the croix de Saint-André means the same in France).  But the little red crosses that I've seen on traffic lights are always the horizontal-and-vertical type called a Greek cross (also croix grecque).  Could this be a local variation?

I thought this was a trivial point, but it turns out to be quite significant.

SD: we are at cross purposes.  (How's that for a pun?)  The St Andrew's cross is illustrated in my copy of the Code de la Route and it's quite obvious from the illustration that it means "no entry to this lane".  On reflection, I'm fairly sure that this must be the one that your quotation referred to.

But I think the original question referred to the little red cross that you sometimes see attached to a conventional traffic light, which is in the form of a Greek cross, and which means "vehicles coming from the opposite direction, i.e. behind this light, are facing a red light and must therefore stop (and you may therefore turn left in safety)".

The only reference to this in the Code de la Route is illustrated by a photograph that shows the Greek cross with the following explanation:

Dans certaines intersections, le feu peut être visible sur l'arrière; cela permet aux usagers arrivant en face qui tournent sur leur gauche de savoir à quel moment ils peuvent passer.

I should mention that in this message the Code de la Route means a summary of the Code published by Michelin, not the actual Code, which (as you no doubt know) is much bigger and more detailed.

Nevertheless, I think we have uncovered a defect in the regulations.  

Found the reference to the Greek Cross light:

Arrêté du 13 novembre 1998 modifiant l'arrêté du 24 novembre 1967 relatif à la signalisation des routes et autoroutes.

Article 9   A. - Signaux lumineux d'intersection

Certains signaux tricolores circulaires sont munis, sur leur face arrière, d'une répétition en forme de croix grecque de leur seul feu rouge, qui permet aux usagers qui ne sont pas directement concernés par ce signal d'en connaître l'état.

It's not listed on the official Securite Routiere signalisation website for some reason.  Perhaps it's because it's purely an indicative signal rather than a mandatory red light.