Doofer...again

Chief

Used it for the first time on New Year visit to Combourg.  Superb.  Not really busy enough to get the full smug effect of cruising into the liber-t lane while others queued, but it was invaluable on our return journey home at 5am, as the wife slept and i glided effortlessly through all the peages.  Also found having a French bank account helped break teh ice a few times.  Was a small talking point with a few surprised shop keepers around combourg and around coquelles, who are perhaps used to contending with primarily brit accounts from their near cousins.

Oh I don't really think the shopkeepers around Combourg would be at all surprised to have a Brit pay with a French cheque. There are more than enough Brits who live around Combourg to make it a quite common occurrence, especially in the low season and the tourists back home. Can't speak for Coquelles though ! Do shopkeepers take British cheque accounts, never seen that anywhere we have lived Chief ?

If you had sailed in to Cherbourg, Caen, Saint Malo or  Roscoff, then  you would have had no tolls to pay to get to Combourg [:)]

[quote user="Miki"]

If you had sailed in to Cherbourg, Caen, Saint Malo or  Roscoff, then  you would have had no tolls to pay to get to Combourg [:)]

[/quote]

And my wife and child would have puked all the way.....weather was appalling!!

[quote user="Miki"]True Chief but that's part of the fun of coming to France isn't it ? [;-)]

[/quote]

Not so for me.  The drive or the motorbike ride is the fun bit.  Not always about getting there as quickly as possible, but about what you see on your travels.  St Malo - Combourg (see nothing), Calais - Combourg (see loads).......

Lightweights  [:)] Still fun, just like going to the fair, ask them folks why they go, can't be any fun in that eh......anyway, it was just a throwaway line, get back in yer pram !

If I had to drive all the way from Saint Malo to the Calais/Boulogne ports and pretend it to be interesting, I would go stark raving bonkers. Travel, for the greater part to us, is simply a means to an end....I will be driving to Spain soon, some of it will be interesting, some parts will be downright boring, so I don't kid myself that going that far by car is fun, just as driving all the way to Calais etc is any more than not wanting to go on the longer crossing as one doesn't like boats. And of course, saving money is one of the biggest reasons I hear around here, for the want to travel hundreds of kms to get a ferry to the UK.