Those offers of termite inspections.....

Has anyone actually taken up any of those offers that come over the phone for free termite etc inspection? 

I usually brush them off, but had one today that sounded more officially-sanctioned than usual, (maybe it's just that the patter was better?) and wondered if I should take it up for once.  The house hasn't been looked at since 2001.  Was also pleasantly surprised that there was no mention of double-glazing during the call, as the two seem invariably to go together.

Views?

Chrissie (81)

I had the free inspection of my wood and to my astonishment, termites wee found, although are not considered common in our area, however, there was no obligation to use the company doing the inspection, although I did and they were excellent, others in our area have also used the same company from Toulouse and all are very pleased with the work and the terms. They were also fully insured and registered.

A friend had the inspection done and he is doing his own treatment, but in my barn with a height of 8 metres to the apex and pressure treatment needed for the beams, I let them do it 

[quote]I had the free inspection of my wood and to my astonishment, termites wee found, although are not considered common in our area, however, there was no obligation to use the company doing the inspectio...[/quote]

But I wonder if they always "find" termites???....

(ever the cynic)

Chrissie (81)

There weren't any termites in our area until the technician put his chisel through one of my barn support beams

This beam had no physical signs of infestation but just disintegrated, luckily they think that this one and the two others that had signs of termite activity (they look a lot older than the rest), were infested prior to installation, they are also in a wet area near the drainage channel, AND for the cynical one , I was there when the deed was done so he didn't pull the termites or the damage they had done to the beams out of his pocket  The rest of the beams in what is a massive barn were  all OK and now protected.  As I said earlier, there was no pressure to have treatment after the survey, but after what I had seen and the general capricorn infestation, I signed up the next day on interest free terms.

I also thought that compared to what I had paid to Cure and Rentokill in the UK for wood treatment to modest sized houses that the price for 4 man days of hard work was value for money.

By the way does amyone know if you have to report that you had termites to the Marie?

In the bad old days, when I had a house that was falling down round my ears, I succumbed to one of these salespeople. They came, they saw, they found nothing. They went away again, leaving me in the sure and certain knowledge that whatever other problems I had, termites were not part of them!

On the other hand, they might have figured I spoke French...

[quote]Termite inspections Mayenne ........... there's one..........................................there's another one ......................there's one[/quote]

???????

The last time I enquired at the prefecture, Mayenne was still termite free

Paul