Useful website for drivers.

Bugsy

The place I got my information from was POIPlace, that gives you overlays for the TomTom to show all the speed cameras in the UK. They DON'T give any for any other EU locations other than Holland, because they say it's illegal in most countries to use any device that warns you about speed cameras - fixed or otherwise. 'Course, they could be wrong.....[;-)]

Given the huge signs telling you of fixed camera positions in France, you have to be pretty distracted not to see them. Mobile units are a very different matter as they hide in bushes and things. Flashing drivers usually warn you and in France, it's not an offence (allegedly) to warn other motorists of the presence of a camera unit.

Devices which draw information from a public domain database to display the location of fixed radar sites are not illegal.  Devices which detect the actual signals from hand held mobile police radars are and they attract large fines and seizure of the detection equipment as well as the vehicle in which it is fitted.

As Bugbear says, fixed camera sites are so well signed that SatNav warnings should be superfluous for the reasonably attentive driver. The only way to avoid the mobile units is to drive within the limit.

[quote user="Bugbear"]Given the huge signs telling you of fixed camera positions in France, you have to be pretty distracted not to see them. Mobile units are a very different matter as they hide in bushes and things. Flashing drivers usually warn you and in France, it's not an offence (allegedly) to warn other motorists of the presence of a camera unit.[/quote]

Funny enough I know a person who did get pulled for flashing his lights. He was asked why he did it, he said he thought he recognized a friend [;-)] . They were not very happy with him at all and had a bit of a rant. He never got a ticket so I don't know if it is illegal to flash to warn people or not. The other reason he may not of got a ticket was that it was arount 11:55 [:D] (lunch lime!).