greenlaning in France.

Patf

Has this been made illegal? I've read about a movement to make it illegal last year but it seems this fell through. I suppose it would be difficult to enforce.There's an organised randonnee 4 by 4 from a village near us this weekend with 85km of chemins in 6 circuits. Some landowners had given permission and lanes have been cleared. We used to live on one of the chemins de St. Jacques de Compostelle and vehicles weren't supposed to go on that but they did. Pat.

So called "greenlaning" is completely legal if it is using a voie or chemin that is public, marked on an IGN map and is for vehicles, how could it be otherwise? 

What is not legal is the use of vehicles "of road" in public spaces, beaches, dunes, National parks and reserves etc.

I don't understand the bit about " Some landowners had given permission and lanes have been cleared", do you mean that some private land has had lanes created for private use?

Chris

[quote user="chris pp"]

I don't understand the bit about " Some landowners had given permission and lanes have been cleared", do you mean that some private land has had lanes created for private use?

Chris

[/quote]

I think you'll find thats for a specific event Chris. As you say 'responsible' use of these roads is OK and long may it continue. A small number of idiots, riding/driving stupidly, have effectively wiped it out in the UK Let's hope it doesn't happen in France too.

I think that the law you were referring to is the ministerial circular.

http://www.ecologie.gouv.fr/IMG/pdf/Circulaire_VM.pdf

In essence its says that  4*4s, quads etc , which have been registered with Les Mines, can be used on any public road. By that they mean roads that can be traversed by a normal unmodified car/ van etc. If you would need a special vehicle to get through then its not a public road. Any use in public  places  other than such roads is illegal. they specifically mention such things as fire breaks in forests as being prohibited.

You may have noticed that TV adds showing cars heading off though dramatic off road locations, burning plantations etc  always have a little mention "Filmed in Australia" or similar.

Chris - A report in the Depeche du Midi  says" De nouvelles boucles ont pu etre ouvertes grace a la gentillesse des proprietaires qui nous autorisent le passage sur leurs terres durant ces deux jours...." Then there's a photo of the team of debroussailleurs armed with tools who have prepared the chemins. It's an organised event with a limited number of vehicles. I can't see the point myself  and would think it would be more pleasant to walk theses routes. Pat.