Time limit on Speeding Fines?

Pierre ZFP

Hi Mrs Dave...............[:)]

There is some sane logic on these fines, I'm sure, but they seem to be down to the person who stops you (those figures I quoted are of a french website). I was stopped two years ago in my 'french registered vehicle on the N10 north of Poitiers (dual carraigeway), (they were hiding in the bushes on a roundabout). The posted limit was 90 and I was clocked at 101. The fine was also 90 €'s but only one penalty point. That said, there was no insistance that I change my UK licence. I was so annoyed with myself, my last speeding ticket was in the UK in 1983. I'm told that they don't normaly insist on a licence change for one point, but keep it on record should you get more.

Watch out for drivers flashing you.......................................[:)]

Watch out for drivers flashing you...................................

Hi Bugbear   It wasn't you in the people carrier who flashed us  about two minutes before we got stopped.....  We made some inane comments about French drivers at the time......  and then we took it all back.  Why we didn't recognise the signal I have no idea-- quelques gens sont stupide.

Anyway my OH  has arrived without incident this time.  Nice talking to you

That's the odd thing.  I was not given a ticket, nada, nothing.  Now I'm not expecting to get off with this, and 135 euros is a lot less than I was expecting

I think this is the up to date list

http://www.radars-auto.com/sanctions_radars.php

I'would have thought a fine of 135 Euros and  a potential  driving ban of three years as well as four points could be pretty inconvenient.

I saw a program on UK TV recently about how small movements in a hand held laser based speed detector can dramatically magnify your recorded speed. It depends on where the beam hits your vehicle but e.g. on the bonnet and slightly move the beam up (or down - cannot remember or work it out) and your recorded speed can go through the roof. Same thing with the sides or vans (or cars. Similarly, a reflection of a window to another vehicle can either record the speed of the other vehicle and/or be subject to the same recorded speed effects but based on the 2nd vehicle !!

Ian

There's a measure being discussed through the French parliament at the moment to ease the severity of sanctions for low level speeding.  The government recognises that minor excesses (a few kph) are inevitable and they are to introduce a "short term" points system - I believe the plan is that the single penalty point awarded will only last for six months then be removed.

Doesn't apply to serious speeders though......

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

There's a measure being discussed through the French parliament at the moment to ease the severity of sanctions for low level speeding.  The government recognises that minor excesses (a few kph) are inevitable and they are to introduce a "short term" points system - I believe the plan is that the single penalty point awarded will only last for six months then be removed.

Doesn't apply to serious speeders though......

[/quote]

That sounds like a really good idea. It is easy to go a bit over the limit. I went past a group of gendarmes with a speed camera a few km over the 50 limit some time ago. It was pointing at me, but also at all the other traffic I was moving along with (at the same speed). Maybe somebody in the line got done, but I seem to have been lucky. Similarly, I think it is a lot easier to allow your speed to creep a bit over the 50 limit when you have been driving faster (e.g. 90 or 110 limit goes into a village, you slow to 50 yet then watch the road rather than your speedo).

"Short term points" would keep the pressure on to stick to the speed limits but without the excessive penalty for more minor offences.

Ian

I've posted this before but it seems relevant to this thread

Sensitivity is usually set up at 5% of the maximum speed.

However when maximum speed is below 100 km/h (62 mph) it is set at 5 km/h (3 mph).

• Maximum speed           Margin                   Fined if ...

• 50km/h (31 mph)          5km/h (3 mph)        56km/h (34 mph)

• 60km/h (37 mph)          5km/h      "              66km/h (40 mph)

• 70km/h (44 mph)          5km/h      "              76km/h (48 mph)

• 80km/h (50 mph)          5km/h      "              86km/h (53 mph)

• 90km/h (56 mph)          5km/h      "              96km/h (59 mph)

• 100km/h (62 mph)        5km/h      "            106km/h (65 mph)

• 110km/h (69 mph         6km/h (4 mph)       117km/h (73 mph)

• 120km/h (75 mph)        6km/h      "            127km/h (79 mph)

• 130km/h (81 mph)        7km/h (4.5 mph)    138km/h (85 mph)

• 1 month later...
[quote user="Bugbear"]

I've posted this before but it seems relevant to this thread

Sensitivity is usually set up at 5% of the maximum speed.

However when maximum speed is below 100 km/h (62 mph) it is set at 5 km/h (3 mph).

• Maximum speed           Margin                   Fined if ...

• 50km/h (31 mph)          5km/h (3 mph)        56km/h (34 mph)

• 60km/h (37 mph)          5km/h      "              66km/h (40 mph)

• 70km/h (44 mph)          5km/h      "              76km/h (48 mph)

• 80km/h (50 mph)          5km/h      "              86km/h (53 mph)

• 90km/h (56 mph)          5km/h      "              96km/h (59 mph)

• 100km/h (62 mph)        5km/h      "            106km/h (65 mph)

• 110km/h (69 mph         6km/h (4 mph)       117km/h (73 mph)

• 120km/h (75 mph)        6km/h      "            127km/h (79 mph)

• 130km/h (81 mph)        7km/h (4.5 mph)    138km/h (85 mph)

[/quote]

I think the margin for error has changed as I have just received a speeding fine for doing 97kph in a 90kph (although it was a motorway and I did not see any signs for 90!).  On the ticket us says technical marhin is just 2 kph

Hmmm.. Me to. Just been done for 96 in a 90 (straight country road, no idea where the bugger was). "technical margin" quoted as 1kph on my 45€ fine (+ 1 point, about which I have yet to hear, I have a UK licence).

The form to appeal against the fine was soooo much more complicated than the form to pay it....

So true, I paid my fine online straight away.  From reading on here I think they save your 1 point and if you get more you then have to exchange your licence for a French one (I also have an English licence).  When I was in the UK I was always led to believe the margin for error was 10% but not so here in France (and chances it was also a myth in the UK).  By the way did it mention you would receive 1 point on the form or did it say 'Perte de point(s) du permis du conduire - oui?'

re time limit - I recently asked a question on points deducted for not wearing a seatbelt ( 3!) . The offence took place in Dec.2005 and husband got the official letter last week saying that as from April2007 these points were deducted. Pat.