Classic Car Insurance

AnOther

Anybody know if French car insurance companies offer classic car policies with agreed valuations etc. similar to those you can get in the UK.

I'm sure I can get some information through the owners clubs but I wonder if anybody has first hand experience ?

I have a vintage car, and my insurers have told me that it must be

valued by a French expert before they will insure it comprehensively.

They gave me a list of such experts in my area (Hautes Pyrénées);

perhaps your insurance company wll do the same? Usually, they want you

to bring the car to them, but for a fee, depending on distance, they

may be prepared to visit you.

Thanks Buzby.

I have a recent agreed valuation certificate from the MGOC and I wonder if that would carry any weight if I had it translated into French ?

If I did have to take it to Hautes Pyrénées it is within travelling distance for me and I could take it there whist still under it's UK registraton.

From what little I've seen of MGB's in France they seem to be more expensive than in UK although I wonder if they would down value mine because it's RHD ?

Ernie

I think a UK valuation would have little relevance for an MG in France.

Have a look at the [url=http://mgcf.free.fr/]French MG Owners Club website[/url].  They mention cheap insurance deals from Zurich Insurance.

As a classic British sports car, I suspect that being RHD will have a marginal effect on it's value in France.

I have just sent you, by e-mail, the names of some insurance experts

located in Tarbes, Hautes Pyrénées. I have not used them myself yet,

but a colleague of mine has done so and found the one he used very

helpful.

Slighty off topic, but we have a 1966 MGB that we keep in dept 72.  It's due an MOT soon, but at the same time we're thinking of keeping it in France for good so are looking to probably re-register it in France.this Summer.  Does anyone know if classic cars need altering (lights, etc) to conform to French standards?  Thanks for any help.

Exactly as SD says [:D]

If it helps I have been in touch with an outfit called A.B.P. who sent me the following reply to my enquiry about a C of C for my own MGB (thanks again to SD)

For the certificate of conformity, you just have to send us a short letter and join:

-copy of the UK Registration Form (V5),

-a cheque for 150 euros payable to A.B.P. (on a french bank please).

Our address is:

A.B.P.

254, avenue du Président WILSON

93210 SAINT DENIS LA PLAINE

FRANCE

Delay is approx. 3 weeks

Procedure:

-convert first the headlamps to continental driving,

-then pass the french MOT ("Contrôle Technique")

-you may have to pass to you local tax office in france to obtain a paper called "QUITUS". People need this document when they import a car from EEC countries, but as you are already the owner ??? Question Mark.

-the last step is the registration of your car at the Préfecture with these documents and the certificate of conformity, in addition to all other necessary (identity card or passport, justification of your address........) .

Good luck with the french administration.......

If you have any further quiery, do not hesitate to contact me.

Nota: we have a parts dept, if you ever need headlights for left hand driving. E-mail address is: [email protected] , or contact me.

Regards

PATRICE VATIER

tel  01 34 73 48 02 

The headlights will be no problem at all on an MGB as it used 7" round lights as did many cars from the 60s to the 80s. Nearly all 7" round lights are interchangable, there must be a few Mk 1 VW golfs in the scrappies.

You are almost right Bob T but I can tell you quite categorically that MK1 Golf headlights will not fit an MGB.

I know this because I own both !

It would be closer to say that most 7" lights from BRITISH cars were interchangeable.

As ErnieYdiscovered, ABP are one of the best CoC providers to deal with.  Slick service and Patrice Vatier is very helpful and obliging.

Very refreshing, once you get over the shock of Rover Group going bust, leaving little or no client support for people exporting their vehicles.....

Just had the contract from Groupama for my 1972  MGB V8 roadster (CGC) full cover with no excesses = 215 euro full ncb. Pretty good price I thought, certainly on par with what I paid in the UK. You do need an expert valuation every 2 years and this was around 100 euros the first year but only about sixty euros to have it redone by the same guy every two years. Interestingly the insurance is a specific policy for a vehicle on cgc but is europe wide cover. When I checked my CGC it is an EU document and in four or five languages, (unlike our French car that is just a French CG with no EU reference on it) I am assuming from this that any country restriction has been superceeded by EU legislation.  

Apparently the easing of the Departmental restrictions has been postponed until 2008 but even then the France only limitation will apply.

SD has written elsewhere:

"The changes have been postponed and are now likely to come into force in January 2008"

"it (CGC) should really only be considered as a last resort............It's always preferable to get a normal carte grise if possible as it's usually impossible to reverse the process"

Considering the latter I hope you don't come to regret your choice [:(]

I don't think these rulings are anything to do with Europe although the insurance almost certainly will be.

See this thread - http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/2/924444/ShowPost.aspx#924444

My point is that under EU directives a vehicle that is legal in its country of registration is legal in any other EU member state and unless France has stated an exception that has been approved via the other  EU member states then EU directives are it.

I know the Sundaydriver does not agree with my interpretation but I have tried to find the specific legislation within the EU that excludes vehicles registered as CGC in France but have been unable to find it.

As I said my CG is an EU document issued in France, why would that be if the document is not recognised within the EU also why would my insurance co be willing to cover CGC in other EU states?

CGC was the only route for my vehicle as MG never produced a B with a V8 engine and the department restrictions have been no problem for me as we just send of our notification slip for any long journeys.

Many thanks for the very useful assistance.  We'll get the new lights and send off for the CoC. 

Our nearest Hotel des Impots is in Alencon (dept 61), but we are 15 mins over the border into dept 72.  Can we use the Alencon one, or do we need to go to the Le Mans office?  Thanks again.

You'll need a 72 reg so everything needs to be done in the Sarthe.  Only the tax office which deals with you can issue the paperwork and only the prefecture at LM can issue your carte grise as far as I know.  SD will no doubt confirm.

There's a chance you could use the Hotel d'I in Mamers which must be closer?

Goose

I believe you are right about there being no restriction on driving outside France.  The "French territory only" bit was one of those items, eg the rules are A+B+C, etc, which seems to have originated somewhere and just copied on through subsequent answers.  I've searched all the relevant legislation and can't find any reference to this restriction - so far....[;-)]

Well spotted....