Avoiding the péripherique

Dinks

In the experience of those who live or who travel around the Paris area, is there any particular time of day at which the péripherique, approaching from the south west, heading anti clockwise up in the CDG direction and then on to Boulogne, should definitely be avoided? I expect to hit it at around 16.00 hrs tomorrow (Wednesday) and can't decide whether to take that route or the Orleans/Dreux/Rouen option where I find the single carriageway a pain. Any thoughts appreciated.

The péripherique is best avoided most times, especially from 16.00 onwards.....[;-)]

Check out this [url=http://www.sytadin.equipement.gouv.fr/]Ile de France traffic website[/url] which gives you realtime traffic status.  No good for predicting traffic for tomorrow, but it gives a good overview of the autoroute system around Paris.

A handy route to get to the north of Paris from the south west is to cut across eastwards to Evry then up to CDG via Marne-la-Vallee.

If you have a reasonable map covering the east side of Paris, you can follow the "Francilienne" - a series of roads making up the outer ring road. It adds some distance but is usually fluid. (This may be the route being suggested by SD.)

I've noticed now that the TomTom takes me through a new route between the Francilienne and the peripherique but I don't think it would be helpful to you if I tried to work this out and explain it in text. On my last trip, it worked well going south but on the return journey north I seemed to be held up as badly as when using the peripherique. Luck of the draw, I think.

Of all the routes I have tried, the fastest trips have in fact been via the peripherique, which works very well on the odd occasion that traffic is light. But when it goes wrong.....

If your French is up to it, it's worth tuning in to the traffic radio station to give you an idea of routes to avoid.

Since we moved from Burgundy to the Allier we do this half a dozen times a year. We come from Dunkerque through Paris then down to Nevers and on to Moulins. Have to say that unless you pick the known rush hours or get really unlucky it is usually only fast flowing multi lane traffic that is extremely well signed.

Our trick when driving south is to follow signs for Bordeaux when approaching northern Paris, this will take you to the southern edge of Paris to where the signs for Lyon are also prominent. We follow the Lyon signs when the road splits Bordeaux/Lyon and then Nevers when the A77 meets with the A6. So in effect to get through Paris from the northern outskirts to the A6 going south we only look for Bordeaux followed by Lyon, keeps it simple.

If you are going south west of Paris you will continue to follow the Bordeaux signs, even simpler.

Have to say that sometimes it appears as though they route us mainly via the Peripherique but sometimes via bits of the Francilienne, maybe due to road works or traffic flow? but whichever way it is usually very little trouble considering it's a major city.

Hope this helps

Jamie