Do you pay road tax on a french registered van?

ebaynut

I know that there is no road tax to pay in France on french registered cars, but thought that on vans, you had to pay.

I have now read that if you use a van for your business/work, that you pay road tax on that.

Does anyone know if you use a van for your private use and not for a business, do you still have to pay, and if so does anyone know what the rates are?

Thanks for your help.

I don't know.

In the UK I think there is a similar(ish) premium on business use vans: if you use your van for work then the insurance is high, if you just happen to drive a van - it's not so expensive.

Or so I was told!

Maybe they get around this rule by insisting that you take a special test to drive anything over 7.5t (unlike all the old style paper driving license holders in the UK who are automatically allowed to drive over 7.5t, right?). So if your van is under 7.5t you could probably avoid the tax issue and state - reasonably - that you use the thing privately; which indeed I'm sure some people do.

I would imagine that if you drive a big blighter you'll be assumed to be using it for work purposes regardless and will be stung for the tax.

All idle speculation on my part! I'm not even sure about the weights [8-)]

If you have business vans then you pay no vignette unless you run five or more (we do not pay anything for our two) and these are taxed on their age and puissance fiscale. ALL vans are subject to pollution CT every year in France and you get a second trou on your CT sticker reminding you when its due.   Private vans for domestic use only and not as part of any business dealings do not pay vignette in France.