Changed to French Licence............I'm now a lorry driver!!

Chrisb

Due to being stopped for speeding a couple of weeks ago, I have recently changed to a French Driving Licence.I didn't look very closely at it when it arrived, but showed it as ID to someone yesterday who said that she was very impressed that I had my 'poids lourd'. It appears that every category has been stamped, bar the motorbike one. So I can now drive lorries up to 12 tonnes and coaches pulling trailers (or whatever EC and ED mean) , which I'm sure I wasn't entitled to do with my UK licence!! Strange, eh?

Chris

They've given you the same entitlements as on your old UK licence.

Your UK category C1/C1E gave you light trucks up to 7500kg towing a trailer, but as France doesn't have this separate sub-category, you get a category (E)C (equiv to UK Class 1 artics) with a code 76 restriction (7500kg PTAC with a trailer combination weight of up to 12000kg).

Your UK category D1/D1E minibus entitlement is replaced by new category (E)D with a code 77 restriction (maximum 17 seats plus same trailer weights as above).

You don't get owt for nowt over here...[;-)]

• 11 months later...
Strange that - did you have a visite medicale???  Technically to get anything other than a car licence (without a trailer) you need one ...

Due for another visite next year, but they always fall around the time of our fete! 

[quote user="Nick Trollope"]

NO WAY would I drive an HGV in the UK (anywhere!) nowadays!

[/quote]

Bah, Wheres your sense of adventure man? Nothing like going round marble arch with a 44' trailer on the back. Did you actually drive a truck here or did you just do the test and forget about it?

[quote user="Onion van man"]

Bah, Wheres your sense of adventure man? Nothing like going round marble arch with a 44' trailer on the back. Did you actually drive a truck here or did you just do the test and forget about it?
[/quote]

I did (all over Europe, in fact), but that was a very, very , very long time ago - early 80's (I was very young...)

Plenty of London (to large concert & sporting venues). Deep joy.

I have one of the new plastic licences (left it late to pass my test!).

My older, less handsome friends with the old style 'paper' licences tell me that they're entitled to drive heavier vehicles because the rules changed after going plastic.

I drove an eleven seater land rover in France for a while and apparently I didn't really have the right. [:-))]

There was some talk about it not being illegal to have more than nine seats unless you were actually stopped with more than nine passengers.

Anyway, that's all irrelevant now that I have my trusty old 1987 205. [:(]