Is there a market for this.

Bugsy

I've had a thought and would be interested for your views.

My idea is, basically, an automatic external curtain airbag system for parking situations in france. You would park your car in the car park lock it and the system would activate automatically. When a car approaches the computer would analyse the risk and where necessary inflate a full-length airbag down the vunerable side of the car. I verbal warning would be generated at the time of the other car doors open. Contact with your vehicle would be met with a loud "Hey, muppet!!!". No contact would generate a gentle "Merci, mon ami".

Would it sell.......................................?

[:)][:)]

Now this is a wind up - it is Sunday I suppose [6]

How would you economically inflate what is going to be a huge bag quickly enough to protect the vehicle [:'(] [8-)]

and what about people who get in the way ????

It would cost a fortune to make and would be very difficult, if not impossible to fit to modern cars.

Best off,  just get a 4x4 and fit lots of protective steel work, works a treat, you win all the time [:D]

I see two instant drawbacks - what happens to said curtain once activated and exactly where do you propose it be stored for deployment ?

Sounds like it would be more expensive then getting the dings repaired once a year [blink]

Keep on thinking though BB, you never know, you might make it to the Dragons Den one day......[:D]

[quote user="Bugbear"]

I've had a thought and would be interested for your views.

My idea is, basically, an automatic external curtain airbag system for parking situations in france. You would park your car in the car park lock it and the system would activate automatically. When a car approaches the computer would analyse the risk and where necessary inflate a full-length airbag down the vunerable side of the car. I verbal warning would be generated at the time of the other car doors open. Contact with your vehicle would be met with a loud "Hey, muppet!!!". No contact would generate a gentle "Merci, mon ami".

Would it sell.......................................?

[:)][:)]

Best April Fool I've ever heard on the 4th of November.   Some years ago in the UK leaflets were available to buy with "Thanks you inconsiderate b******, glad I had a tin opener to get your car door off mine".    Seemed to work well.

[/quote]

I understand that a few years ago in South Africa some cars  had verbal warnings that if someone came too near to a car which was being driven that a voice would warn that a flame thrower would be activated if the person didn't retreat.

Anyone else heard of this??

It was told to me be a SA local......

Yes Nicos, I have heard of this and was legal!!  My cousin has receently returned from a holiday in SA.  When he rented a car, they offered him a gun which surprised him.  When asked what he should do with it, he was told about the huge car jacking problem they have and was told to use the gun and given the wink that he would get away with acting in self defence.

Is property still dirt cheap there? [:D]