Caravan legalities!

Mike

Can anyone out there advise me on bringing over a UK spec caravan to France.  We are looking to move in the New Year and would like to bring over our caravan and register it in France.

We have heard that because the door is on the 'wrong side' the caravan won't pass scrutiny...is this so?

As anyone brought over their caravan and registered it?

Help!!!!

We are living in France and we have an English caravan and eventually we will attemot to register it. We have just gone through the process of registering a Pajero and as you may appreciate it is a Japanese "grey import ". We were told probably impossible to get it registered so we started by contacting the maker in Paris and from there it took about three months and a lot of form filling, Controle Technique (mot) a visit to the DRIRE but we got there in the end.So I am determined to have a go with the caravan and I have been told that having the door on the other side is not a problem. It will have to have a certificate of conformity from the manufacturer, a gas check and modifications made. It will have to be inspected at home and we will have to make any recommeded changes. Basically, as many things as we had to do with the car. I will let you know how it goes and yes it would have been better to have sold it in UK but we had to live in it for three weeks after we had sold the house so had no choice but to bring it with us as we were homeless until we bought over here.

The position of the access door only applies to campers/motorhomes - not caravans.

There are plenty of people who have imported their caravans to France and the process is reasonably straightforward as mentioned by ValB. No doubt Sid will be along soon to confirm this, having got his van done last year.

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

No doubt Sid will be along soon to confirm this, having got his van done last year.

[/quote]

Thanks SD. [:(]

Actually, we completed the registration in July this year after hesitating previously because it all sounded too complicated! In actual fact it was very straightforward, if a little tedious. I think you have to ask yourself whether you will use the caravan here; we've been here just over 3 years and haven't felt the need for a holiday at all until this year! The documentation problems depend on the age of the caravan and if it's an older model, as ours is (1989) you'll need some help from the manufacturer. In our case Lunar were excellent!

We needed to make some modifications to the lighting and add orange side reflectors. I had to make an identification plate to mount on the front rhs of the drawbar showing make, model, VIN (chassis number), unladen, and maximum weights. The chassis number also had to be marked (punched) alongside. I then had to present the caravan for a gas/electrics/internal safety test at Bureau Veritas (179,40€) and later for a roadworthiness test at DRIRE (86,90€). It passed with flying colours and the registration then cost 48€ at the Prefecture. I also spent about 70€ on bits and pieces (external lamps, internal power sockets, new regulator etc etc).

We had brought the caravan over here when we came to complete on our house, and left it here in the barn. I hadn't even realised at this point that a separate registration would be required, it was something I had never even thought about about. To have overlooked it seems so stupid now! Anyway, once we had moved into the property it became clear that we wouldn't be able to tow the caravan with our new French car until the 'van was registered. We'd had the 'van from new, and it is in great condition and that's why we decided to keep it and eventually get it registered.

My first word of advice would be to consider selling it in the UK. Obviously caravans are available here but not to everyone's taste, particularly in the internal layout (fixed beds etc). The resale value here will be quite low too, the French prefer their own models, not unnaturally. However, if you're determined to keep it, the procedure is straightforward, just don't expect to do it in a day! It would appear that different 'départements' have different interpretations of the rules, so the place to start is always at the local DRIRE office. I found all of the officials to be very helpful and polite; it helps if you you are polite, use your best attempt at French. [:)] 

If you need any more details please pm/email me.  

Regards

Sid

Thanks everyone for your replies, especially Sid, your comprehensive reply was enlightening. We have a 2002 Bessacarr Cameo and from your explanation it seems that we may only have to change the internal power sockets.  We think it will be worth the effort to bring over.

Thanks again,

Mike & Mandy. 

Re registered our Lunar 1992 Clubman with just the the required info a bit of a problem.Very speedy return help by email from the axle and tow gear makers,Albi, in Germany.I had to engineering draw and dimension chassis details as Lunar had no info on this aluminium model chassis.As Sid said it was mostly a matterof conforming to the French requirements and perseverance.Still worth it and have enjoyed using the caravan since weve been here for the last 5 years.Gud Luk   Maude.

P.S  although we had to have the gas and electric tested as Sid said,we didnt have to change any of the internal electric bits-i.e sockets etc.However this being France it may vary by department!!!! Maude

Confirmation there from Maude that some of the mods may not be required.

First step: speak to DRIRE. Take some photos of the 'van and whatever documentation you have and go and have a chat. Don't take the caravan on this visit!

Good luck

Sid