Renewing a French driving licence

Mutiara

Just realised that my French driving licence expired two months ago ! - I actually didn't realise that French licences that have been exchanged from UK licences only get a validity of 5 years, - so a friendly warning to anyone else who hasn't checked theirs recently [:D]

Could some kind soul please tell me what the proceedure is to get the licence renewed ? I guess that it probably involves a medical but as our Prefecture is about an hours drive away, I would like to be well prepared for a visit if necessary. Is there a form that could be completed online, or something ?

Thanks in advance

Groups A & B are without time limit.  The additional groups require a medical every 5 years up to the age of 60, every 2 years from 60 to 76 and then annually after that. 

You can download the form here (See later post)

The medical costs €24,40 and has to be carried out by a doctor on an approved list, which is obtainable from your Mairie, Préfecture or Sous-Préfecture. 

From your post you have probably been through that before.  You will also need two passport sized photographs and a stamped self-addressed envelope. 

Subject to passing the medical the form should be sent off by the doctor and you retain a copy of the certified medical form as proof of elligibility until your renewed licence is returned. Groups D(D) and E(D) require an annual medical every year after the age of 60.

Thanks for the reply Clair.

If you open up and look inside on any French licence you will see the categories listed and in the next column they are  "depuis le " ( valid from) and jusqu'a ( valid to) dates. I have to admit I have only just realised that it is my categories C, D and E that have expired and there is no expiry date in the column for categories B1, and B. I noticed that category E (subsection B) is for towing a caravan so it would be a shame to lose it for instance!

Edit; I have just rung a French friend who says that if I don't want to lose the right to the other categories, I have to renew them but she said it is probably a visit to the Prefecture. So although I am in less of a panic now, I still would like to know if anyone else has done this and what are the proceedures.

[quote user="Weegie"]Groups A & B are without time limit.  The additional groups require a medical every 5 years up to the age of 60, every 2 years from 60 to 76 and then annually after that. 

You can download the form here thttp://www2.equipement.gouv.fr/formulaires/fic_pdf/11247.pdf (it can be completed on screen and printed out). 

The medical costs €24,40 and has to be carried out by a doctor on an approved list, which is obtainable from your Mairie, Préfecture or Sous-Préfecture. 

From your post you have probably been through that before.  You will also need two passport sized photographs and a stamped self-addressed envelope. 

Subject to passing the medical the form should be sent off by the doctor and you retain a copy of the certified medical form as proof of elligibility until your renewed licence is returned. Groups D(D) and E(D) require an annual medical every year after the age of 60.

[/quote]

Weegie thanks for that prompt reply, I haven't done it before but a couple of years ago I gave a lift to a male friend of mine to a medical for his permis renewal. Unfortunately he died last year and so I wasn't sure what the proceedure was.

I'll download the form and see how I get on ! Many thanks to both of you for your prompt replies [kiss]