Anyone here ever scrapped a car in France?

DrAlanStatham

Hi,

Having just but our first 'proper' French car (left and drive, so we can see round tractors to overtake now!) I'm left with the task of trying to get rid of our old (right hand drive) Citroen ZX that we brought over from England.

Although it still runs and has nearly two years worth of MOT, there's oil in the radiator (apparently the head gasket is letting oil) and I can't imagine I'll manage a private sale here.

I asked the auction people where we bought the new one, but they only take right hand drives under ten years old.

The breakers seems the only option left. Is it like the UK here i.e. do you have to pay them to take it, or can I expect to receive a small sum?

Are they fussy about what they take?

Thanks in advance for any help.

DAS

With the price of metal what it is it's been quite some time since you had to pay a UK scrappie to take a car off your hands, up to £50 or so now seems to be about the going rate.

The price for metal will be pretty consistent EU and even world wide so kg for kg I can't imagine a French scrappie caring too much what side of the car the sterring wheel is on [:-))]

Tyres can be the biggest problem for disposal and the price you get for a car could likely be marked down if the wheels and tyres are still on it so ask the question and if to your advantage take them off and "lose them" in a corner of the garage or somewhere. The scrappie won't need them to crane a wreck onto the back of his lorry.

Also, if you have proper LHD lights, think about removing them and selling them privately.

When you say, "it still has two years worth of MOT"................do you mean you have registered it in france ie: french carte gris, Cont Technique etc?

You could advertise it just for spare parts! I did this with my old ford transit............it was still UK registered, UK MOT etc and right hand drive. I sold the tranny for 600€ to a guy who wanted parts..............he wasn't interested in UK documents, but if you do this be sure to see Carte de Sejour of buyer, make note of this on bill of sale and note also that vehicle is being sold 'solely for parts'.....................this was about four years ago and nothing untoward has happened!!!!!!![Www] even if a vehicle is right hand drive, there are many spare parts which are the same as a left hander!

If you don't want the hastle of this option, I remember when I lived in Normandy, many communes had one day a year (I think) when it was basically 'dump everything day' free of charge................not sure if this is still the case![blink]

I had to scap my daughter's (french registered) renault clio after an incident with an elderly lady that left it a bit shorter...

Apparently only certain places are registered as being able to scrap cars. Some of these make you pay for them to take it away, others will negotiate on parts.

Other places will buy if off you for spares and deal with the scrapping (you effectively sell it to them, with all the usual paperwork)

We had various offers including:

1/ pay us 80€ to take it away

2/ we'll take it but can't give you anything for it...

3/ it's got good bits, we'll give you 80€ for it.

Obviously it pays to shop around!

I was in the scrapyard yesterday weighing in copper, zinc and brass removed during my renovation (I got 100 Euros for it[:)]) so I can give you the exact prices that they were paying for mixed feraille (scrap cars).

Traders were getting between 115 and 130 euros per tonne according to how hard they haggled, a particuliér (a woman) who brought in about half a tonne on a trailer got 100 euros per tonne, if tyres were still fitted to the wheelrims they deducted 6 Euros for each one.

So for an average car you can expect to get around 125 euros net if you drive it to the scrappy.

I should point out that this was a licensed metal recycling yard (not a car breakers) and you need to show your passport and proof of residence.

Our experience was similar to hoverfrog's, when husband "totalled" our Renault Laguna, LHD. First go to the prefecture who have a list of approved scrapyards (carbreakers) and give  forms for paperwork to be completed. Then go to nearest carbreaker. They picked up our car for free as it's a popular model. It's important to give a copy of the document from the scrapyard to your insurer. But sounds as if you would get a better deal from a scap metal dealer.

Don't worry about it Ernie. the local Gendarmarie aren't,they are outside our house 2-3 times a week ., my insurance company is quite happy,the DVLA seem happy to take my money and the local car scrappers have filled in all the relevant paperwork and seemed quite happy. I am very happy.

Regards.

[quote user="ErnieY"]

Assuming gastines post doesn't get pulled for advertising I wonder if there are different rules for scrapping illegal cars [6] [Www]

[/quote]

yes Ernie, if you live next to a large river like the Rhone, at 4am in the morning you take the car and push it into the river..........next day you tell your insurance company that it's been stolen! [:D] that's just something I've heard OK

I had an old peugeot 106 diesel that I drove down in. It was still on uk papers, but never got used here, it just sat in the farmyard.

One day the "got any scrap metal?" guys came round. We had them take away a load of farm scrap, which they paid for and they also took the 106. They paid me 300euros for it if i remember rightly. The guy didnt give a damn about papers etc, he was just going to break up the shell for scrap steel, and sell off the engine, suspension etc etc.

I sent the v5 back to dvla saying I had broken it up and that was that.

We've disposed of four old cars so far. Two were British and two were French registered. In each case we either "sold" them or gave them to our local Gitane who used to call for any scrap metal. I always left my wife to haggle with him as she would invariably squeeze some Francs/Euros from him - she seems to get some kind of pleasure out of it!! For the French registered cars he wanted the carte grise marked "vendue le ....." but for the Uk registered cars he only asked that we destroy the paperwork. Problem solved.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for an entertaining and helpful thread.

Just to close off, I managed to get €150 at the breaker's in Lamballe, dept. 22 - €100 more than they offered us at Cesson-Sevigne in dept. 35.

Which then disappeared when we had to pay €180 to register the new car.

Ah well, sorted now.

DAS

I finally wrote off my Citroen ZX last month and the scrap dealer towed it away without charge as I was covered for up to 9 kms I think. He gave me a check for 150 euro. 

It was in a bit of a state to say the least but everything was working prior to me wrapping it around a lamp post[:)]