Cost of white goods UK vs France

I have had my washing machine for ten years without a problem.   It's a UnicLine, Trois Suisses own brand, and it was the cheapest one they did (and it's a front loader).   We also bought a cheap fridge/freezer from Trois Suisses which broke down once - the service was excellent.

"Bosch/Miele/Indesit and other "real brands" do European cover implicitly"

Are you sure about this Opel Fruit?  The fact that you say implicitly suggests no.

I can only say that having bought my Whirlpool/Electrolux (also international) appliances through IKEA, the multilanguage guarantees are not the same.  Each is clearly being worded to meet their national legislation and the striking thing is that whilst the German and English guarantees and warantees are broadly similar and differ only in the detail, the French is totally different.  Can't speak for the 15 other languages covered.

Explicitly therefore for Electrolux at least there is no one-size fits all European cover.

This has been a great read and is offering some very good information ... I am travelling in July and bringing the whole kitchen with me. Luckily I work for a premium brand company so get them at a hefty discount. I had wondered if I was doing the right thing in terms of cost but put it down to a one off cost so will get in as much as I can. Sounds like there is a market for graded stock there i.e scratched or small dents. (not offering).

B

As I read it if you want to buy new you'd be best buying in France because of warranties etc.  If you want to buy second hand you take pot luck with what you get.

All I want to know is that if I bring my 'not old but not new' white goods over to France & install them in our property they'll actually work, at least until they have a wobbly & don't which wont be anything to do with French electrics just the way of things.

Assuming you are coming from the UK they will work, but it is not normal in France to have a hot fill for the washing machine. You might also find this thread helpful:

http://forums.livingfrance.com/shwmessage.aspx?ForumID=288&MessageID=158484

And replace plugs (2 or 3 pin as appropriate) rather than use adaptors.

Fill size 1200 rpm spin washing machine 'zero kudos brand' washing machine was Euros 199 in Carrefour today. Cheapest full size dishwasher was Euros 249. Both had two year warrenties. OK we are in sale time but pre sale prices were not much higher and at least French stores do not seem to advertise low prices on items then switch sell you to something else becasue the model you want is out of stock.

One item to add to short list of much cheaper in UK - garbage disposal units we paid £ 90 - I have not found one under Euros 375 in France.