Early Gearbox failure - How to tackle ?

Punch

I own a relatively new 4 1/2  year old Renault Van that I bought from new in France. Has done 132,000 KM from new and fully maintained by Renault main dealer.

The gearbox sounds like it is about to fail as 3rd and 4th are becoming increasingly noisier. (I had a similar problem on a 4 year old Laguna last year and I had to have an exhorbitant repair done in Spain and didn't follow it up with Renault due to language difficulties and also that I was on holiday at the time.)

Before this Van becomes any worse and fails compltely, how should I approach the problem?  In my experience, Renault  will probably just fob me off and estimate a repair. I did some minor research and have found that this may be a known problem.( if anyone is remotely interested here is the link to a forum I found)  http://www.auto-evasion.com/forums/viewtopic_19238.html

Has any one had similar experience or can offer me advice on best approach I would be very grateful as a 5K repair bill would just about do me in at the moment!

Depending on what you relationship is with the garage and what they are like.

1. Start researching how much you can buy a gearbox from a written off van or car and how much it would cost to have it replaced.

2. Start talking to locals about who can do a gearbox swop at a reasonable price. It is unlikley to be a garage with full franchise

3. Consinder how cheaply you can source 'wheels' so you do not need the van back in a rush.and then talk to a garage about a gearbox rebuild as a background job

4. As you have owned the van from new see what pressure you can put on Rernault. The figures are beyond the pail for a new van.

In the '70s we used to believe 3 hours for a gearbox swop on a mini or 1100 at the roadside. Renault 4Ls were faster. 

• 1 month later...
Go in, tell them you want something similar but slightly newer (think of an excuse, don't mention the box) and get them to part ex yours with another used one in their lot.

Considering yours has FSH with them etc they shouldn't have much excuse to refuse a top dollar trade in price. They'll probably send her straight off to the auctions/local trader.

Being a regular customer, perhaps they'll give you a decent finance deal on the newer one - it's better than paying out cash for a big gearbox repair.

If they inspect her and mention the gearbox fault you can then turn the tables on them.

("Again?? That's not very good is it! perhaps I'd be better off elsewhere")

Okay, this is probably all wishful thinking but it would be funny just to see them try and justify themselves. [:)]

Well here is an update; A day after posting my original message the gearbox finally failed and I had no choice to put it in for repair at a Renault main dealers .

The bill came to 3000 euros. I refused to pay the bill without a satisfactory response from Renault "Service clientele" but the Renault garage would only release the vehicule if I left a cheque (which they promised they wouldn't cash) until I heard back from head office. I had no choice as it (the van) was my livelihood, so left a cheque.

So two weeks passed and I got a phone call from a Renault Service Clientelle who said they have studied my dossier and would offer 50% of the repairs costs. I complained further and said I wanted "entier satisafaction" and would like the whole bill paid for. To cut a long story , after 10 mins of reasonablt polite convesation (in French) I realised we weren't going anywhere, the guy on the other end said as it was out of guarantee and he said it was a genuine offer. He then threatened to retirer (take back) the offer if I didn't accept. With fear of losing the offer I reluctantly accepted. I must admit I was quite angry with effectively being threatened but can live with it.

Most French people I have spoken to say that was a good offer and I was lucky  to get 50% ......... Maybe they're right?

I think that if it had of been in the Uk , with bodies like the CAB, consumer programmes and such like I would have fought a bit harder.

Thanks for the replies chaps, and yes Bones I woul be inclined to do what you suggest if there is ever a next time. Play them at their own game is what I would now advocate.

Good result.  I think that the offer, for France, was a reasonable one considering the distance and age.  We are looking at a Kia Ceed for our second car 'cos it comes with a 7 year warranty.  If the vehicle has a 2 year warranty it means exactly that - did you not have the option of increasing your warranty period? - we do with our Grand Scenic.  You can increase the warranty period, at a cost, anytime up to the 2 years.

Hmm.

I'd say - considering you're in a foriegn country - that you've done really well there.

Plenty of folk would've just swallowed the bill, you took them to the brink of withdrawing the offer; well done!

Is it a new box or repair to certain parts or full refurb?

I'd hate to think this was going to carry on and on (not wishing to put a hex on you).

Anyway, well done.

Chezstevens - Actually  I did  extend the gurantee to 4 years at the time of purchase which is why I fought my corner with Renault so hard. Now 7 years seems a good one. Pity Kia don't do a decent van !

Bones, - The gearbox was a complete Dealer factory exchange, with new clutch too. I'm beginning to think I came out alright in the end.

[quote user="Chezstevens"]In that case, not having mentioned 2 yr extension before, I would hope that Renault would have been rather more generous.  Was it 4 yrs and 100,000 km warranty?
[/quote]

Yep thats's the one - Contrat "Lozenge" I think it's called.

Check out the Fiat Bravo 5 yr - 500,000 km (yes thats correct) warranty.  I know its not a van, but it makes you think.  Citroen & Renault  dont have a good name in reliabilty - neither do Fiat come to that !.  There's a reason every small town in France has numerous Renault / Citreon  garages.  Your mistake was buying it in the first place !!!!![:D]