Car Insurance

Terry

Does anybody know of a French Insurance Agent or Broker (who speaks English as the question is too complicated for ny French) who can help me get Insurance for two cars. The problem is I do not spend more than 5 months in France and want to get credit for the time the cars are not being used. To pay for 12 months insurance when one is only using the car for 5 months is a little galling This facility is available in other EU countries and I use it in the Country I spend the other 7 months.

I'm not sure that this is possible. If your car is in France whilst you are away, then I think it still needs to be insured, in case of theft/fire/third party claims arising from theft or fire etc, which would otherwise become your responsibility. What you CAN get is a low mileage policy, which may be advantageous in price.

Regards

Pickles

The law states that any vehicle capable of being used on the road at all MUST be covered by insurance in France even if it is stood up and cannot move.You have to protect against injury to other people who may wish to steal the vehicle and get hurt not just for accidents on the road. You can get a reduced cover as said which limits you to a certain number of kms per year or a very small cover for non-usage but it would not be renewable every few months or so. These facts I have checked with our insurers over a vehicle not being used at the moment. What applies in one EU country does not necessarily follow in another country the same way. A lot of insurers will also insist the battery is removed and the vehicle is garaged when not in use.

We are in much the same position and also hate paying for something we are not using. We got away with suspending our insurance two years running but last winter the insurance company refused. And this was despite leaving the car in the garage! Annoying but then our insurance is under 150 euros a year.