Tanker Driver Strike UK

Frederick

As this evenings news has informed us of a pending  strike by some tanker drivers this  coming weekend and the Governement is impressing upon us the need NOT to panic buy fuel  and create shortages .......We are not going to fill the car up now when we normally buy half a tank are we ? .. we are not going to follow our French cousins and take a gerry can to the pump as well are we ? .....Watch the garages tomorrow they will be queing round the block...........that news  item was a cleaver move !

As it only affects Shell cannot see much of a shortage developing, and most people in the UK seem to use the supermarkets anyway,  perhaps its a ploy by Shell to get the British to buy more fuel before the price drops next week, after all Shell need the money don't they [Www]

[quote user="Ron Avery"]As it only affects Shell cannot see much of a shortage developing, and most people in the UK seem to use the supermarkets anyway,  perhaps its a ploy by Shell to get the British to buy more fuel before the price drops next week, after all Shell need the money don't they [Www][/quote]

Ron, what makes you think fuel will drop next week, especially as a barrel tonight is over $136. Fuel costs rise quick enough but always appear to drop slowly, I suspect it will be a couple of months if at all before we see the lowering of the price.

Baz

It did actually drop today to 132$ only to go back up again Baz , I just suspect that there will be some political face saving across Europe very soon and the price will drop, one way or another.  Perhaps due to duty changes or pressure on OPEC who many claim could actually release more stocks and bring the price tumbling down.  But I have been known to be wrong[Www]

[quote user="Ron Avery"]It did actually drop today to 132$ only to go back up again Baz , I just suspect that there will be some political face saving across Europe very soon and the price will drop, one way or another.  Perhaps due to duty changes or pressure on OPEC who many claim could actually release more stocks and bring the price tumbling down.  But I have been known to be wrong[Www][/quote]

I do not want to pay high fuel prices but I cannot see why OPEC would want to release more stock at a cheaper price.

OPEC countries have a finitie amount of crude (although more might be found, it is not something that will regenerate itself) so at some point in time their product will run out which will mean no income.

Wall in to a cut price store, be it supermarket DIY shed etc, and they might take a small profit high volume approach - but they can get more stock. OPEC countries cannot when their stock runs out.

And will various pressures on OPEC countries work - or with an energy hungry market will there always be someone willing to buy whatever the price?

On the news this morning (UK) an item that said that petrol sales have fallen 20% - perhaps the Shell drivers have chosen the wrong time to strike. However, there will always be a need for fuel, whatever the price.

Paul

We have about 30 old plastic 20L drums from paraffin over the winter.  We have filled 15 of them with diesel (sorry if that is spelt wrong) and plan to fill the rest up too.  I know some would say that is panic buying but if the UK drivers are striking how long before they do in France (I know the issues are different).  The thing is the UK have seen the price rising but here in France the rate of increase has been even faster.

Anyone else doing the same thing?

It would appear some of my fellow villagers here in  Dorset must have done just what you have Wiskersnatch as by 10 this morning the garage was closed for fuel ...none left ....Those who did not panic buy.... now have a 16 mile return journey to fill up this weekend .....so they can find fuel to get  themselves to work next week.......I am sure many will not be happy knowing some people will be looking at drums of fuel  stored in their sheds next week when the supply is back on ...fuel that could have avialable  for many today ..I wonder what the fire departments think about all these people who are storing fuel on their premises in plastic containers. ?  

[quote user="Frederick"] 

It would appear some of my fellow villagers here in  Dorset must have done just what you have Wiskersnatch as by 10 this morning the garage was closed for fuel ...none left ....Those who did not panic buy.... now have a 16 mile return journey to fill up this weekend .....so they can find fuel to get  themselves to work next week.......I am sure many will not be happy knowing some people will be looking at drums of fuel  stored in their sheds next week when the supply is back on ...fuel that could have avialable  for many today ..I wonder what the fire departments think about all these people who are storing fuel on their premises in plastic containers. ?  
[/quote]

Fair point and one I considered when doing it but then what exactly does the gouvernment expect when it says 'don't panic buy'.  Puts me in mind of Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy'  ... DON'T PANIC .  I do feel a certain social guilt but it is over ridden by the fact that my children need to go to school and I need to drive to work.  If I could be sure everyone else was a nobel as you then I would be too.  I refer to you as nobel with the utmost sincerity.  You are a minority though