Classic car with alternate engine

PaulT

A hypothetcial question at the moment but......

Would there be any problems registering or altering the registration of a 'classic car' if the existing standard enagine and gearbox was replaced with a more modern alternative, i.e. cleaner and more fuel efficient. This assumes fabrication of engine and gearbox mounts to suit the new engine and gearbox.

Paul

There are Citroen SMs with DS engines fitted which are regularly offered for sale in the French classic car magazines. It is I believe a reasonably easy job similar to putting the Stag V8 into a Triumph 2000 or rather less exciting Triumph straight six into a stag. If I ever finish the house I might look at an Elan Plus 2 with Mondeo engine and gearbox that Banks Service Station were producing.

I have yet to read an explanation of the advantages of a Carte Gris de Collection which convinces me it is worth going down that route rather than the DRIRE inspection.  

There is a kitcars thread which covers some background to the legislation.

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/1196561/ShowPost.aspx

If the car is pre type approval it probably wouldn't matter but you will still be required  to register the change of engine number. However you will be left with a car that is not original and as such worth a fraction of the genuine article for example Triumph Stag with Rover V8 engine or rhd TR6 with carbs.

Peter