UK licence beyond 70

AnOther

A question has cropped up elsewhere about being French resident and over 70 but nipping back to UK to renew a UK driving licence.

Whilst clearly it's possible to do that if you have got a UK address of some sort and frankly, if we chose to avail ourselves of that of our children or other relatives few of us haven't, my take on this would be that it's a no no but not sure under what rules or legislation. Is there some law in France which says that a UK licence is no longer acceptable for a resident over 70 ?

A UK licence is valid in France (as elsewhere?) as long as it is valid in the UK.

http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/particuliers/F1757.xhtml

[quote]

Pour pouvoir être utilisé sur le territoire français, le permis de conduire : 

• doit être en cours de validité, 

• doit être utilisé par une personne qui a atteint l'âge minimal pour conduire en France le véhicule de la catégorie équivalente, 

• doit être utilisé conformément aux mentions d'ordre médical (port de lunettes obligatoire par exemple) qui y sont inscrites, 

• ne doit pas avoir été obtenu en échange d'un

permis d'un pays tiers à l'EEE, avec lequel la France n'a pas conclu

d'accord de réciprocité. 

Par ailleurs, le titulaire du permis ne doit pas

avoir fait l'objet dans son pays d'origine d'une mesure de suspension,

restriction ou annulation du droit de conduire.
[/quote]

I understand that Clair it just seemed to me that there ought to be something which comes into play at 70 by virtue of being French resident and not UK.

Would not the use of a UK accommodation address to obtain a renewal be technically fraudulent ergo a licence issued under such conditions invalid ?

According to the DVLA, your driving licence entitlement will expire once you reach age 70.  To renew it, one of the criteria is you must be resident in the UK.

The simple solution is to obtain an exchange French licence before the UK licence expires.  The French licence has no expiry date....[;-)]

Pretty well as I thought then. I don't know the potential ramifications of continuing with a UK licence in France on that basis. In reality none I guess.

The claimed reason for it is to retain the towing ability but I don't know quite what the person expects to be towing which grosses 3500 kg at age 70+ [:-))]

Your friend can retain his towing entitlement by producing a medical certificate when exchanging his licence for a French one.  The towing entitlement is renewable subject to annual medicals.

The medical costs 24€ - not a big deal if it confirms he's fit enough to tow 3500kg.......[;-)]

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

The simple solution is to obtain an exchange French licence before the UK licence expires.  The French licence has no expiry date....[;-)]

[/quote]

Unless you return to the UK in which case it lasts until you reach 70 or for three years whichever is the longer period

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]Your friend can retain his towing entitlement by producing a medical certificate when exchanging his licence for a French one.  The towing entitlement is renewable subject to annual medicals.  The medical costs 24€ - not a big deal if it confirms he's fit enough to tow 3500kg.......[;-)[/quote]

I believe the medical must be done by an authorised doctor, not necessarily your own GP.