Spot checks and papers

Rob G

Hello all,

Vehicle spot checks by police are obviously quite common here - certainly much more so than in the UK. By some miracle, in our nearly three years of living here, despite seeing many such checks, neither my wife nor I have ever been stopped. (I have to admit that on occasion we have both resorted to deliberate avoidance tactics - i.e. taking an immediate diversion upon seeing the spot check and finding an alternative route!)

We saw a spot check yesterday afternoon on the way to a friend's birthday party. The first thing we noticed was that it was being done by CRS, rather than police or gendarmes. Anyone have any idea whay this might be? Just extra CRS with time on their hands?

Anyway, I'll get to my main question. On this one occasion, I had done something I almost never do - I had left my bag at home containing my passport and driving licence. (I usually always carry with me a "man bag" purchased specifically for this purpose.) As a result, the only papers i had with me were the insurance certificate and "caret grise". Luckily, we weren't stopped, but this did get me wondering - if we had been stopped, would i have been introuble for not having all the required papers with me? Or would it have been like in the UK, where you are given so many days to present your paperwork at your nearest police station?

Surely there are times when even French people set foot outside the house without all their papers?

Thanks in advance,

Rob

Thanks Cathy - very interesting.... but not quite the answer to the question I asked. Although I suppose one could infer that failure to produce all papers = likelihood of a fine, especially if the policier is having a bad day and there's an r in the month...

Just as a point of interest, in the UK the offence is also committed at the time.  However, the HORT/1 process was brought in as an administrative measure as there wasn't the same "mind set" (can't think of a better way of describing it) amongst citizens of the UK.  I suppose one of the differences is that the French are accustomed to the requirement for ID at all times whereas it is not, yet, a requirement in UK.

If one fails to "produce" within the 7 days and a summons is issued the offence is failing to produce at the time and/or not having driving licence/insurance/mot 

As I said just for interest.

I've been stopped for a 'controle' many times, usually late at night in or around Melle. Sometimes a breath test too but normally just documents. On one occasion I had forgotten my driving licence, it was in my other coat (actually I have more than two coats, [:P] so being pedantic I should say in another coat [;-)] ) The officer didn't make any great fuss and I was allowed to proceed without a fine or having to produce it later.

Another time they made a great show of 'checking' my UK driving licence; they took it to the van and made what I'm sure was a pretence of calling-in the details, and after 3 or 4 minutes they came back and said it was OK. Who would they check with? I'm sure they don't ring the DVLA!!

I have to say that the gendarmes have always been very polite and courteous, and I can't think of a good reason for diving down a side road to avoid a checkpoint. Surely that would be seen as acting suspiciously?

Sid

Mr Clair has been pulled over several times, usually on his way back from work in the middle of the night.

He has a UK licence and before he got his resident card, used to carry a photocopy of his passport. That was not questioned the one time he presented it.