OK Bikers, whats going on?

Jacqui      Too

I'm very pluzzled[8-)]

I've been driving for over 30 years and have not noticed this in UK, but whilst driving in France I keep noticing that every time motor bike riders pass me or anyone else out comes their right leg off the bike straightens it up for a second or two then rests it back on the peddle, I have also somtimes seen both legs out stretched at the same time, whats going on!!

Is it some kind of signal? is it a rude gesture? or are they just stretching their legs? I noticed one biker passed me and three others and did the same to us all.

Someone please put me out of my quandary, does this happen everywhere or just in France?

[quote user="DerekJ"]It's done in the UK as well but usually with a slight wave  or lifting of the hand.[/quote]

Yes, Derek, because in the UK, when a biker overtakes, you will notice he raises his LEFT hand, as that is the one that the car driver will see ![:)]

Now, think about the same scenario here in France :  biker overtakes car - if he raises his RIGHT hand, what happens ???  [:$] Oooops, loss of acceleration......hence the right leg.  I think it's cute ![8-|]

[quote user="Jacqui Too "]

Aahhh how very polite [kiss] can they come over here and give our lads some lessons !

[/quote]

We find that the French drivers are, in most cases, more respectful and tolerant of bikers (and towards cyclists too), and we are more grateful and polite in return. [:)]

In the UK bikers spend most of their time dodging the cars driven by mobile-phone-wielding drivers... there's not a lot to be friendly about. Sorry, don't get me started! [:-))]

French bikers also acknowledge each other with a left-handed inverted V-sign; it's very cool; I think it's meant to indicate "Two wheels, good!". So much easier too, as we pass in opposite directions our free hand is the left one, not the one on the accelerator. [;-)]

Sid

In  Naples area the driving is mad (insert scary?) however they generally have good awareness of bikes.  I have a daily commute of some 16 miles each way around the Naples basin.  After 3 months I hope it has honed my sense of self-preservation to new heights!! Now where is that piece of wood?

Again here the drivers will leave a sliver between the centre reservation and themselves for bikes and, even on motorway, 2 lanes very quickly becomes 5 and don't talk about when it rains!!  Mind, 3 months with 35C until last week is bearable with the right kit