Those Germans have got no sense of humour...........

Bugsy

A little question, Bugbear, though nothing to do with your posting !  I assume from your signature that you too have a Mac.  Which serveur/browser do you use ?  I find Safari won't let me do smileys, so I am obliged to use Camino.  Any comments please??[8-)]

[quote user="Callie"]A little question, Bugbear, though nothing to do with your posting !  I assume from your signature that you too have a Mac.  Which serveur/browser do you use ?  I find Safari won't let me do smileys, so I am obliged to use Camino.  Any comments please??[8-)]

[/quote]

Download and use Firefox and it will all work fine.

Now we have had all the adverts for the brousers because people are using second class machinery I will put us back on subject [Www][Www][kiss]

If the Krauts think about it all they have to do is to wear a muppet mask and they can do what the heck they like if that's the way the rule works. The ladies could always wear a mask of Angela Merkel, very fetching!!

I wonder if there is a law in Chermany that says that you can't wear a mask whilst driving?

[quote user="allanb"]Leaving aside the humorous bit, does this mean that the German police can't take action on the evidence of the registration plate alone? That would surprise me.[/quote]

Just checked with a German colleague and he says that's right, there must be a clear picture of the driver.  He was quite surprised at the article though as he says the speeding pictures always show both the driver and passenger.

Just maybe this whole thing is a wind-up ?

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]

[quote user="allanb"]Leaving aside the humorous bit, does this mean that the German police can't take action on the evidence of the registration plate alone? That would surprise me.[/quote]

Just checked with a German colleague and he says that's right, there must be a clear picture of the driver.  He was quite surprised at the article though as he says the speeding pictures always show both the driver and passenger.

Just maybe this whole thing is a wind-up ?

[/quote]

That's what I thought.  Obviously someone has photoshopped the number

plate, but unless the driver was hiding behind a fancy mask, someone

has also swirled what was presumably an adequate picture of the

driver's face.  Perhaps it would have been better without the sun flare

in the bottom corner of the windscreen, and the rear view mirror won't

have helped, but any self respecting police force should have been able

to enhance and recover a usable photo.

Edit>  They've also done a swirl on the left hand side of the vehicle.  I wonder why?  [8-)]

Could it have been this chap do you think?

Absolutely.  I have a friend who admitted (to us, not the police) doing 130+ in an 80 limit but the picture was blurred and he escaped the otherwise inevitable fine and 3 month ban.

Unlike the UK, the police have to prove who committed the offence and not assume that it was the owner unless they (the owner) can prove (ie incriminate) it was someone else.

That is also why German car drivers do not slow for rear view fixed speed cameras in France (or anywhere else).

And yes usually the photos are very good quality and get the passengers as well.  Other friends got a picture from the police that was the best family group shot they have ever had taken!  (Their words not mine)