UK News - Speed Control Device

AnOther

The TV news has been awash today with the not so new or innovative idea of fitting cars with a GPS controlled device to automatically correct the speed to the prevailing limit. A scheme which the proponents claim would reduce accidents by 28% !

Leaving aside the obvious impracticality, expense and sheer timescale of implementing such a plan I wonder what others think of it.

For my part I think it's ridiculous and any money spent on such a stupid ill conceived idea would be far better deployed in improving driver education. At worst it could in fact be totally counter productive because:

A. It is patently unsafe to assume that the posted speed is both safe and appropriate for all conditions when often it could be something considerably less. 30mph past schools for instance and 60 on country lanes.

B. Most people no longer drive cars, merely operate them virtually on autopilot, and this would be yet another 'feature' to ensure that they are even less aware of what they are doing.

What's your opinion ?

what happens when you are driving along at 60 mph and you hit a 30mph limit. Would the car slow to 30 in advance of the limit, or hit the 30mph and slam on the anchors. What if the set up was different between cars. Would one car run into the back of the other? I agree, it is totally senseless. Far more sensible to have audible warnings if you must.

It was reported on the Evening Standard tonight that 'nearly half of speed cameras in London are switched off' because guidlines issued in 2001 made many cameras unable to meet department of transport criteria.

[quote user="ErnieY"]

A. It is patently unsafe to assume that the posted speed is both safe and appropriate for all conditions when often it could be something considerably less. 30mph past schools for instance and 60 on country lanes.

B. Most people no longer drive cars, merely operate them virtually on autopilot, and this would be yet another 'feature' to ensure that they are even less aware of what they are doing.

What's your opinion ?

[/quote]

My first reaction was a bit like yours but, having seen the report on BBC, the device is a speed limiter.  It merely restricts the maximum speed at which you can travel in the mapped area.  One can drive at the speed limit OR BELOW.   In addition, you can over-ride it if you wish.

In some ways it is a bit like a sophisticated cruise control.  It isn't some automatic driving device.  As for having it in the car, the proposals are, at present, that it would be a matter of choice whether you  have it or not.

The TV report showed it slowing at a natural rate as it approached the restricted area (which one would no doubt do anyway[:)] ) so no "slamming on" of brakes.

As reported and demonstrated it wasn't anything other than an aid to safety and observation of speed limits.

...just wrap the darned aerial in silver foil to immobilise it and then drive at a sensible speed for the conditions! When will these speed-fixated idiots realise that an urban, wet rush-hour Friday and an early summer morning country A road do not share the same safe speed?

Heaven forbid 'they' should ever consider it for bikes - they steer on the throttle and unexpected braking on a bend would cause, not prevent, accidents. 

It's been my impression for some time that governments generally would like to get rid of motorbikes altogether; they just haven't found an acceptable way of doing it yet!

The speed control device belongs in a idealistic, futuristic, Flash Gordon super civilisation, where everyone has the same device and all the infrastructure is in place to use everywhere. Until that's the situation I can't see how this will ever work properly.

Happy New Year by the way!

Sid

Having actually looked at the BBC report, I see that the proposal involves fitting a simple speed limiting device which prevents the car from exceeding the posted legal limit.  The system leaves the driver free to moderate his speed below that limit so he can continue to exercise his judgment of the speed appropriate to the prevailing conditions.  The system will also feature a 'kickdown' facility for unexpected situations where a burst of throttle is required.  As Weegie says, it's just a sophisticated form of cruise control - and a bit of a no-brainer, really.

As it would appear to optional, those of us who think we're such competent drivers that the legal limits don't apply to us can continue to drive up to the limit of our perceived skills. 

On the other hand, if we accept ErnieY's view that most of us no longer drive cars and merely operate them virtually on autopilot, then I expect we'll all be queueing up to have one fitted.  At least it'll stop us perpetually moaning about getting flashed by the cameras because we unwittingly 'wandered over the limit'.....

Its a fantastic idea and I cant wait for it to become mandatory.

Just think of the peace of mind this will give....I will be safe with the knowledge that at 5am on a deserted section of 40mph urban dual carriageway, despite the breathing difficulties and paralasys my passanger might be having due to a stroke as I take them to hospital, I can be certain that Im not breaking the speed limit.

Also, whenever I overtake a slower car, I would be very happy that this system would prevent me from accelerating beyond the legal limit should the slower car speed up somewhat as I attempt to pass.

And then in the lashing rain in a light, fwd hatchback I would be very happy for this system to close the throttle mid-bend, provoking lift-off oversteer.

Also, just think how much easier driving will become - Just hold the accelerator on the floor and the car will sort its own speed out - thats one less thing for me to have to worry about. If all I have to do is steer the car now, I reckon I could probably read the newspaper whilst driving in perfect safety.

I honestly dont see a downside.

Our Grand C4 Picasso has 2 selections on the cruise control switch. The second is a speed limiter. When you hit a limit you can set the max speed you want to do and yes there is a 'kick down' over-ride. I think it is a very good feature and I tend to use it a lot in the 50 zones. It is quite difficult to keep the car at 50 without constantly monitoring the speedo and it lets me concentrate on the road about me.

As for an enforced one, I suppose the next hing to that is an auto system that clobbers you if you do go over the limit and another step from the system then taking the fine straight out of your bank account? Oh happy daze!

Dave, if you hold the loud pedal to the floor on ours then you definately would not stick to the limit 'cause that would activate the kick down over-ride!!

Oh, before I forget may I be the first to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas 2009!!