Putting an Iveco on french plates, help needed

jill

Hello,  I sort similar advice recently on this forum and was given the following advice, this should generally hold true for you.  Hope this helps.

1.  Obtain a certificate of conformity from the base vehicle manufacturer;

2.  Notify DVLA that the vehicle has been permanently exported and cash in any unused vehicle excise duty left on the tax disc;

3.  Visit your local tax office and obtain a quittus fiscal import VAT certificate - it authorises you to drive the van on it's old UK plates for up to four months whilst you complete the registration process (no VAT to pay and no charge for the certificate);

4.  Obtain French insurance and cancel the UK policy;

5.  Book the vehicle into a local testing station for a controle technique (typical cost 60€);

6.  Book the vehicle into the DRIRE for a single vehicle approval (SVA) inspection (cost 86€); (I think this applies to your case!).

7.  Register at the prefecture.  The registration fee is 16€ per CV.  You do not have to produce proof of insurance.

8.  Purchase and fit new number plates (around 25€).

My local Hotel des Impots told me that a quittus fiscal is only necessary if you bought the car (new or secondhand) from a garage or business and have the receipt. If you bought it from a private seller then you don't need the quittus fiscal, as there are no VAT implications.

[quote user="jill"]

I have a 1997 iveco and decided to french plate it, i only have the V5 document.  What do i need

[/quote]

Not much information, but...

If your Iveco is a standard panel van, then you obtain a certificate of conformity from Iveco France.

If it's gross weight is under 3500kg, then you visit a local CT testing station.  If it's gross weight is over 3500kg, then it's classed as an HGV and has to be tested at a CT PL station.

If your Iveco is a Stralis 44 ton tractor unit, then it's a different ball game.....[;-)]

Check out the FAQ for details of what documents you need, etc.  You do need the quittus fiscal from the tax office because the prefecture will ask for it.  Registration fee will be around 20€ per CV.

[quote user="nectarine"]My local Hotel des Impots told me that a quittus fiscal is only necessary if you bought the car (new or secondhand) from a garage or business and have the receipt. If you bought it from a private seller then you don't need the quittus fiscal, as there are no VAT implications.[/quote]Hmm, don't know about that nectarine, you cannot say that buying privately has no VAT implications, it is the age/mileage of the vehicle which determines that is it not, not who it's been bought from.

In any case, being as the Quittus is probably the easiest piece of paperwork to obtain, and free, it make little sense to take the chance of being knocked back for not having it. No doubt every Impots will be different but in my case in Cahors, and for both of my cars, I was in and out in under 15 minutes.

It is a van

Because the van has no tax, mot or anything on it, i was told to go to the DRIRE because the van is over 10 years old, the check it out to see if it can be french registered.  CT it and then take the documents and a cheque to the perfecture and they sort out the registration

The people whose van it is have gone back to Uk and have said i can buy the van off them.  Before i do i am checking out the information first. 

I have also been told that you can just undo some screws and alter the headlamps, failing that they are 71 euros each brand new.

There is no other document only the V5, they said they will do me a receipt if i buy it and that should be enough.

Just a thought, before buying this van I would check its UK road tax status.  go to here:

http://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/ and follow enquiry

If this van has been SORN'd in the UK as it probably has for a few years you might end up having to pay a large fine and back tax on it if you try and export it now. Might be best to get the owners to export it if its been SORN'd or get a witnessed and dated bill of sale.