Best sat nav for France?

Lulubel

[quote user="baypond"]The only advantage I find of 'in-built' systems over the external options is that in-built systems seem to have satellite lock on immediatley (even from cold start up), where as external systems can take up to 5 mins to hook up to satellites.. I don't know why in built systems are so quick, so if anyone can answer that I would be interested to know.[/quote]

In built systems are by far the most accurate and versatile systems. They will work without a 'sky view' i.e. in tunnels, underground car-parks etc and give directions from the moment you start.

The reason for this is that they are not GPS reliant. They use either gyro's or accelerometers or in really expensive system both. They will also have some form of speed pickup be it via the same sensors that run your speedometer or separate sensors on the drive shafts. These things combined give measurements on acceleration, turn, rate of turn and breaking plus speed. The GPS side of these systems is primarily used to get an initial fix. The system will function because it knows where it last was and will feed in the 'fix' when it gets a good signal.

This is part of why the TomTom 9XX range is so good because not only does it use GPS but accelerometers as well. It knows the speed of the car from when it has a GPS signal and measures acceleration, de-acceleration and turns. Its not as accurate as an inbuilt system because it does not have a speed sensor so has to try and work it out. However it does have reasonable accuracy even after several miles without receiving any GPS data.

There is a Wiki entry where you can read about GPS, why it sometimes does what it does (takes you across an open field etc)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_navigation_system

Hope that helps answer some of your questions.

[quote user="Quillan"]In built systems are by far the most accurate and versatile systems. They will work without a 'sky view' i.e. in tunnels, underground car-parks etc ......[/quote]Handy that however I don't think even 'er indoors could manage to lose her way in any of those though [Www]

[quote user="ErnieY"][quote user="Quillan"]In built systems are by far the most accurate and versatile systems. They will work without a 'sky view' i.e. in tunnels, underground car-parks etc ......[/quote]Handy that however I don't think even 'er indoors could manage to lose her way in any of those though [Www]
[/quote]

I don't know Ernie there have been times when I have wished I had a built in navigation system. Years ago I went shopping in Southampton, parked my two day old car then took three hours to find the blinking thing. Admitedly it was in a side street and not in a underground car-park. There were lots of yellow mk3 Cortinas in those days and I must of tried my keys in about 20 before I found mine. Happy days [B] .

[quote user="ErnieY"]..... unless you mean built in to you personally [I]

[/quote]

Well it would save tying a ball of string to the door handle, mind you that's complicated too I mean you have to keep hold of the other end [;-)] .

I have always used Garmin (they started with the US Navy in 1940 something so may have a clue).

I've recently updated to a Garmin Nuvi 265W widescreen. Was told I could install 2010 maps for free, and set off for home (Belves in 24).

I was always impressed by my older Garmins, but this was truely brilliant. Having calibrated the device with various bits of info' it told me my carbon footprint, how much the trip had cost, how much fuel I had used, and took us a route that was much quicker, and using the "Eco-route" setting saved us quite a lot in fuel. The news roads on route were on it, and we didn't get one bad bit of info'.  Speed limits appear on screen (very handy on some French roads where it can be a bit of guess work), and it has every speed camera on the route too. "Think" time was ultra quick, it gives distance to next turn, shows the junction/roundabout in advance and gives the road names, not just left or right, and to top it off, the "vehicle" I followed on the map was a Spitfire, which flew along the route.

And it was only £150 from Amazon.co.uk. Highly recommended

[quote user="magic"]I have used the Becker Z101  on my trips to France and up to now had no problems. Highly recommended.[/quote]

My old Ford had a Becker as did my Discovery and very good it was too. It was one of those combined units with CD, radio and navigation. The only problem was that you had to take the music CD out and put the navigation CD in to use it other than that very good.

[quote user="f1steveuk"]I have always used Garmin (they started with the US Navy in 1940 something so may have a clue).

[/quote]

Blimey, I didn't think they even had satellites in those days, so how would that help! [8-)]

So it's mainly TomTom versus Garmin, and I reckon you'll be OK with either one. The mapping data comes from a common source I think, so it's a case of which interface you prefer, or more likely, whch one you're used to.

I found that on a trip to Spain this year I was sent via a motorway which isn't yet finished! The toll booth operator at the end of the only completed stretch saw my perplexed look and handed me a sheet printed in 7 languages indicating that the problem had become severe, and gave alternative directions!

Sid

[quote user="sid"]

I found that on a trip to Spain this year I was sent via a motorway which isn't yet finished! The toll booth operator at the end of the only completed stretch saw my perplexed look and handed me a sheet printed in 7 languages indicating that the problem had become severe, and gave alternative directions!

Sid

[/quote]

Theres a lot of things unfinished in Spain at the moment due to the economic situation there. They apparently are worse off than Southern Ireland at the moment which might explain why the road has not been finished. Could becoming a cheap place to buy again according to my brother-in-law, prices drop by €100k a go with Brits desperate to get out. Still I digress, get to Halfords and have a play or better still if you have a mate whos got one ask if you can borrow it for a few days. If you can get to borrow one try it out on routes you know to get a feel for how it works.

It is possible to rely too much on the sat nav. 

I take a group on golf tour each year and always plug the courses into the tomtom.  2 years ago aiming for Platja Doro golf club just north of Barcelona it took us to Platja Doro tennis club (which turned out to be on a completely different hill a couple of miles away).  At least I can always check now with google maps on my phone whereas at that time we were completely stumped.  When we eventually found the golf club they said the equivalent of "oh yes lots of people get lost like that".

Also once heading for the tunnel near the M25 between junctions 3 and 4 in Kent it took us onto the motorway through a gate, up a small lane and straight on just as a police car passed us.  I must have looked pathetic blaming the sat nav because it is no excuse for not using common sense but we got away with it mainly because the gate was not marked with a no entry sign.

As I said, Garmin started in the 1940s, with the US Navy, but obviously not sat nav, just navigation in general!

As for trusting them, I never have before, but the new one seems to have an in built "common sense" which is quite surprising. As yet the only draw back I have found is that if connected to my 'phone (it has bluetooth and become a very very good hands free) you can miss verbal instructions, but I can say absolutley no problems what so ever!