Minor accident

newbiee

I had a very minor prang this morning - tiny damage to other's car, nobody hurt etc.

Completed insurance paperwork one the spot, chap said we'd keep in touch via phone.  I'm wondering why?  In the UK, once things have been escalated to insurance companies, the parties involved would not have anything to do with each other - leaving everything to the insurance company.

Are things different in France?  Why would we speak to each other?  He's already been on the phone, left a message ... couldn't understand the important bits ... he spoke to fast and my French isn't that good to start with!

Thanks

It was him who was absolutely insistent on doing it 'by the book'.  (He even called the police!! )   Probably my fault on paper ... probably both at fault in reality. 

His message said he's phoned his insurance company so he obviously doesn't want to sort it out between us. 

As far as I'm concerned it can all be handled by the insurance people now. .... he's phoned three times in the last hour!  Just wondered if this was the norm in France.

Which boxes are ticked on the Constat, particularly his side. I wonder if a mistake has been made, not in his favour, and he's trying to get it corrected before it gets passed onto the insurance companies.

If there is a mistake it has to stand and can only be changed with the agreement of both parties. It's the whole point of the Constat, a contemporaneous account of the facts of the accident agreed and signed by both parties on the spot.