Driving licence return of categories.

Bugsy

As I'm in the process of getting the categories reinstated that I lost in the change to a french licence I thought I would share my experience.

You get all the relevant forms from your Marie.

Then obtain................

Three photos.

Photocopies of Carte de Sejour, Licence and Passport.

Book a medical with an approved GP (list from the Marie)

Then the medical.

Eyes were tested, wearing a strange gadget.

This was followed by walking up and down some steps, then jumping off those steps. I then had to climb the steps with my eyes closed [:)]

This was followed by a blood pressure test (a tiny bit high, was the comment) well, what do you expect after climbing those steps, I replied [:D] smiles all round.

Blood test for diabeties (OK).

Then, the best of all, a reaction test, where you have to hold your thumb and finger open and catch a small metal object (A patella Hammer) (about 20cm long) as it was released by the doctor. Try it, believe me, it is not easy.

I did it in the end by watching for movement in his fingers.

Result, all OK,

Next phase was to post relevant paperwork via a 'Max Vingt'. Having never heard of a 'Max Vingt' it turn out to be a special envelope you buy from 'La Poste'

Now waiting for my new licence.

You can, of course save yourself all this work, if you get the medical done at the time of the original request for a french licence.

You need a medical to keep the +E categories that enable you to tow over a certain weight.

When I did mine it was simply an eye test and blood pressure, probably depends on the doctor (my medecin traitant is one of the approved doctors)

Most people who have held a UK licence for some years will have categories C1, D1 and (E)B and these require a medical in order to be transferred onto an exchange licence.

Those are the UK categories covering light trucks up to 7.5 tonnes, minibuses up to 16 seats, and towing large trailers....[;-)]

• 3 weeks later...
OH has just gone through all this - not a nightmare but slightly infuriating.  Had the medical, daft doctor didn't specify the right categories (not that we could read his writing). Got another letter from the prefecture asking for another medical or to declare we didn't  want all those E categories anyway - OH in Holland during the week, his UK licence about to expire, got bored of this, wrote the letter declining those categories, new license arrived this morning.  But we still have his bike license (which is much more important apparently, even though the bike went 5 years ago...dream on Boy! )

Fi

• 2 weeks later...
I thought I'd just give an update to the application for the return of my additional categories.

I received my new, amended licence back today, exactly 4 weeks to the day from the date of my medical.

Categories A(A1), A(A), B(B1) and B have not changed.

Categories D(D) and E(D) will require another medical after one year.

Categories C(C), E(B) and E(C) require another medical after two years.

Sorted!!