Driving to Normandy

tuppence

Hi,

I want to drive from Pas-de-Calais to visit Honfleur but I am terrified of the large bridges[:'(] which seem to loom on the route (Pont de Normandie or Tancarville). If I detour round Rouen do I miss any scary bridges, which should leave me with an easy drive to Honfleur.

tuppence

I would not miss driving over the large bridges for the world. It's not scary, just  a stunning experience and I love it.  I suppose it also means that we are on holiday so I am excited anyway.  Having got lost in the traffic on the outskirst of Rouen one time, I can honestly say I know which I would prefer.

Good luck whichever you choose.

Michelle

Anton's route is fine: the Pont de Tancarville is not actually too scary, but I wouldn't recommend the Pont de Normandie for anybody with a touch of vertigo. If you want a fun alternative you could always cross the river by ferry at Duclair which would also be a good place for a lunch break

http://bacsdeseine.site.voila.fr/page2.html

Thanks for the replies but the Pont de Normandie just ain't my cup of tea, although the Tancarville may be a possibility. But I could amend the route to come into Rouen another way and avoid both of them. I am supposing that their river bridges are similar size and height as those in London over the Thames???

And , Michelle, they may not be scary to you but to most vertigo sufferers they are horrendous and to be avoided at all costs.

tuppence

You'll have no problem using the river bridge in central Rouen.  After exiting the tunnel, you'll be on a short urban dual carriageway with various entry roads coming in from your right.  You'll be busy looking for the overhead sign for your exit road (Caen) and by the time you spot it, you'll have actually have driven over the bridge without realising it.....

From there, it's down to the cows roundabout, then pick up the A13 westbound for Caen...