SORN equivalent in France ?

bubble

I have a Triumph Spitfire which is due CT in November but I will be away from beginning October till mid November and then again from before Xmas till approx Beginning March. I feel it is a waste to CT till I get back but note it says if you don't you incur a fine or possible impounded vehicle !! So question is is there an alternative like SORN in France. I only use the Spitfire for runs with Retro club and the odd trip out in summer. I also have an Isetta. Much simpler no CT needed :-) Oh forgot to say Spitfire is Carte Gris normal.

Thanks in anticipation

If the vehicle is not in use on the road then you are not going to get fined or impounded for not having a current CT so just put it in the garage and forget about it.

You will have to do something about the insurance of course but as you haven't asked about that I won't comment further [;-)]

I wasn't sure how longer before due date it can be done and as our everyday car and motorhome are all due August Sept this year we thought it would break up the expense to leave it until 2010 as we would not be using it ! Also if it needs repairs to pass then leaves us a very short timescale to get them done especially as we get parts from UK !! Also more expense all at the same time every two years !! Is nice sometimes to spread out the bills :-)

Not sure what you mean about not mentioning insurance as we have all our vehicles insured and the Spitfire would remain insured even if lying in garage ! I believe it has to be here even if it is not on road .

AFAIK you can CT a vehicle at any time you like, if you were selling it for instance you'd want a new one if the current one was more than 6 months old.

Short time to do repairs? Not really an issue as if it did fail I don't think you have to take it back for a contra visit unless you want to continue to use it on the road, so just forget it this time round, do the repairs when you can and represent for a new test when you're ready.

You obviously know about the insurance and it was that which I wasn't going to mention. I will mention that if it is due for renewal whilst it is off the road then there are procedures for cancelling it if you wanted to. Possibly not worth the hassle though if all you stood to save was a month or two.

Shame on you BTW if you drive a classic car and don't maintain it to CT standard, have you no pride and self respect [:P] [:D]

Both our old cars are maintained well but you can never be sure where the CT is concerned ! Add to that a large garden and potager and now I know where my time goes in retirement !!

I knew about being able to get CT anytime for selling as just sold our everyday car and got another 'new ' car. 10 years old instead of 16 !! Is new to us ! But was not sure on the renewal of CT when normally due. I seem to remember in UK you could do in month before renewal.

Anyway if it goes for CT all fingers crossed please !!

Thanks for all the info. Just when you think you are fixed up in your mind with all that needs doing something else pops up that you do not know the answer to so that is where all you helpful people come in !! We have been here nearly 6 years so maybe after 26 we might know everything !

I was only joking and being a long term (22 years) MGB owner myself I know however fastidiously you maintain your car you can still get caught out by something unexpected. I did on my MG's CT because there was a weep of petrol from the pipe on one of the pump unions which is well tucked away underneath between the tank and back axle so not something you would easily spot unless you were specifically looking for it [:(]

I've heard that some CT stations have refused to renew a CT before it is due, I don't know if it's true or why that would be because it's money for them so why not do it. Pure speculation but I suppose it's possible that there is something in their computer system which won't allow them to do it before time unless flagging the car as being sold too, don't know.

In UK you can MOT whenever you like but if you do it before it is due you can get a certificate for up to 13 months. I always used to MOT my cars well before time and could never understand people who left it until the last day then went into panic mode when they got a fail, stupid !

Apart from being 2 years ([:D]) I think the system here is much more friendly and flexible, it's daft to be failed for something as insignificant as dead number plate bulb or a worn wiper blade for instance.

Bonne Chance with yours, whenever you go for it [;-)]

[quote user="bubble"]

I have a Triumph Spitfire which is due CT in November but I will be away from beginning October till mid November .

Thanks in anticipation

[/quote]

Hello Bubble

I do not see any problem. I would just talk to the controle technique and show them the papers and make a rendez vous for November 16th http://www.completefrance.com/cs/emoticons/emotion-15.gif