Registering a car

Joe

I have recently been told that changing plates etc has been scraped and you can continue to drive on English plates.Has anyone heard anything along these lines?Only I have just spent a few euros changing mine over.Just awaiting the Grey card.

[quote user="Joe"]I have recently been told that changing plates etc has been scraped and you can continue to drive on English plates.Has anyone heard anything along these lines?[/quote]

No, the system for importing a vehicle and the requirement to register it in France has not changed. All that has changed is that French registrations now stay with the vehicle for its lifetime in France, whereas previously if it were sold to a person living outside the departement where the vendor lived, it would have to be re-registered in the purchaser's departement, and hence change registration number. You have not wasted your time or money.

Regards

Pickles

[quote user="thunderhorse"][quote user="Pickles"]All that has changed is that French registrations now stay with the vehicle for its lifetime in France...

[/quote]

That wasn't the case with my tractor last week - unless agricultural/vintage vehicles are assessed differently (not that it mattered to me.)

[/quote]

Sorry - this is what happens when you type without thinking it through: I meant to indicate that this applied to NEW registrations ... as you have both pointed out.

Regards

Pickles