Importing Japanese Cars From The UK - Problems With CoC

tasng4

Hi,

Has anyone out there tried importing a Japanes car from the UK? We are currently in the process of importing a 1991 Suzuki Jeep, we wrote to Suzuki and asked for a certificate of conformity. They releaved us of 135€ and sent us a certificate.....or so we thought. Our Prefectaire refused to import it as the certificate said it was a partial one as the car is RHD. Upon speaking to the Prefect they merely stated that they CAN NOT accept a certificate which says, for what ever reason, that it is partial. Even though there's nothing we can do to change to LHD and that RHD is NOT a bar to importing into France. Indeed we have imported 2 other RHD cars without any problem.

Oh, the Suzuki has a Controle Technique.

Any thoughts?

Note: I am aware of the form available on this site which one sends to the DRIRE and this is my next action.

FYI: Toyota also does not issue full Certificates of Conformity.

First of all it's nothing whatsoever to do with being RHD, that's complete cobblers. Either you misunderstood or someone lied to you, was it close to 12:00 !

What you are experiencing is pretty standard procedure when trying to register non EU sourced vehicles.

What you need to do is take it to your local DRIRE office and they will tell you what you need to do for them to accept it and issue a C of C.

Be aware though that this might involve not inconsiderable expense and take a rather long time to boot.

Worst case could be that you had to take it to Paris for certain specific tests and if there are no 'E' marks on the glass, you could be told to replace it all.

A 1991 Suzuki Jeep is worth next to nothing and it will almost certainly cost you a sum equal to it's value to get it registered, not to mention the grief and frustration, so to be brutally honest I would take serious stock of whether you really do want to persevere with this.

Another,

I know RHD can't be the problem as we have other RHD cars. The magic word seems to be 'PARTIAL' and as the people at the Prefecture can't tick a box to say it's a full certificate - it fails their criteria.

Owen88,

It's a full proper Suzuki import into the UK.

I'm reluctant to take it to the DRIRE 'cos it's been converted from a van to a pick up although this can't be the problem yet!! But if I go to the DRIRE I'm sure this could be a big one.

I have found a form, on this site, which it appears one completes with vehicle details, sends to the DRIRE and if they have details on record they will send a certificsate - long shot but it might work.

IF all esle fails I'll just drive it on UK plates, it's only for local use (forest roads and in winter) so if the Gendames don't mind I'll be ok.

Another,

Re you comment about a 1991 jeep being worth next to nothing.......you'd think so wouldn't you. Prior to buying in the UK we looked a a 1989 one with 100,000 Km and it was for sale for 3,000€, a 30 yearold ratty Land Cruiser was 5,000€ hence we bought in the UK for £1,100 + import costs if we get it through.

Any conformity certification issued either by Suzuki France or the DRIRE against your V5C/VIN number will relate to the vehicle as it originally left the factory - ie, a commercial van.  However, you've since modified it into a pickup.

That's why your Suzuki certificate is a partial one - it probably confirms the chassis and motor but not the body.  That means a DRIRE inspection, constructor certificate by the coach builder, weight tickets, etc...

You might just end up keeping the UK plates and driving around your local forest roads........[;-)]

I think ultimately you're right but the cert supplied by Suzuki does not mention anything about bodywork. It say it conforms to all regulations with the exception to those mentioned. The only thing mentioned in the exceptions is Conduite a droite.

Take a punt at the DRIRE for an attestation, they didnt actually look at my vehicle just wanted the correct info regarding weight limits etc to fill out their formulaire for an attestation.

To do this they only looked at my registration document but unfortunately they were in a different format or not there at all, they then sent me out to try and find them on the chassis plate which I couldnt, I tried my hardest to convince them to come out to have a look (my French was poor at the time) but wild horses could not have dragged them, I got the impression that they were only interested in La Paperasse and didnt want to involve themselves with a real vehicle, if your DRIRE is like this then you will have no problem of them realising that you have a cut-n-shut.

As to my problem the info I needed was actually on the attestation so we eventually agreed that he would print it out and leave it on the counter  whilst he took a pause cafe/fumer/pisser and surprise surprise when he came back I had correctly filled out the formulaire and was duly sold the attestation.

As someone has already said it won cost you anything to try, I would aim to get to the counter at 11.45 if they close at noon or 12.15 if they close at 12.30 [;-)]