Importing car from Latvia

suzanaa

[quote user="nounours"]Last time I looked Latvia was in the EU, so why do you need a customs declaration? [/quote]I suspect Chancer was talking about the VAT certificate obtainable from the Hotel des Impots which you would receive on presentation of the log book and sales receipt, and payment of any tax due of course if the car were under 6 months old or had less than 6000km on it.

As the question was simply what do I need to import a car, although I interpreted that to really mean register, I didn't feel it necessary to go beyond the basics and get into the registration procedure itself [;-)]

I would be really grateful if you could expand on this. Thanks

I suspect Chancer was talking about the VAT certificate obtainable from the Hotel des Impots which you would receive on presentation of the log book and sales receipt, and payment of any tax due of course if the car were under 6 months old or had less than 6000km on it.

Part of the registration process, the first part in fact, is to obtain a Quittus Fiscale from the Hotel des Impots which basically attests to the fact that there is no VAT due on the car which could be the case if it had been bought bought tax free in another member state. After 6 months or 6000km it is no longer considered new therefore the question does not arise although quite how they prove the latter I don't know.

I think to be precise then technically it's supposed to have been owned and driven by you for 6 months, not merely 6 months old, but I don't think it's really persued.

I have never personally registered such a new car, (nor likely ever will [:P]) but others who have may be able to relate their personal experiences.

This is as I understand it but if anybody feels the need to correct anything please feel free [;-)]

[quote user="AnOther"]

I think to be precise then technically it's supposed to have been owned and driven by you for 6 months, not merely 6 months old, but I don't think it's really persued.

This is as I understand it but if anybody feels the need to correct anything please feel free [;-)]

[/quote]

Seeing as you asked............[;-)]

The six months threshold for VAT is purely based on the age of the vehicle. Ownership/drivership is immaterial.

Since we are descending into pedantry, it should be pointed out that Para 14 refers specifically to professional motor traders supplying 'new' vehicles. Used vehicles, private individuals and vehicles imported from other EU member states are covered in the subsequent paragraphs.