DIESEL IN YOUR PETROL TANK?

nomoss

A warning for anyone who bought Super 95 from the Intermarché pumps at Colayrac-St-Cirq (just west of Agen on the D813)

Sometime before the weekend the underground tank for Super 95 (at least that for pump number 2) was accidentally filled with diesel fuel.

I put 52 litres in mine on Saturday morning, into a tank still containg about 15 litres of petrol. The engine stopped about 1 km further on.

I tried for an hour to get it running again, but the car was eventually taken to a garage and was not fixed until Monday, completely ruining our weekend. Our Assistance provided a hire car for 24 hours only, so we drove the 250km home to get my VW Transporter, and back again. As it is just a simple (classic) car with carburettors and coil ignition, and no-one could find the problem, I thought we would have to trailer it home.

Coincidentally a similar thing happened to a friend in UK a couple of weeks ago, but he got water, not diesel, probably wrecking his fuel injection system. It occurred to me that I might have got diesel, but I thought I was being paranoid. The mechanic who came with the truck also thought it smelled like petrol. The odour of petrol seems to overcome that of diesel, at least for our noses.

I'm now wondering how many unfortunate people there are who didn't add such a large amount of diesel to their petrol, so the engine still runs after a fashion. They may be now driving around wondering why their car is running so badly, possibly paying out large sums for diagnosis and repairs.

I contacted the Journal Sud Ouest this morning and suggested they print an article about it. Could someone let me know if this happens, please?

Maybe Intermarché themselves will be kind enough to publish an announcement about what happened ???? [:D]

About a yaer ago a friend (frencg0 of mine filled up with diesel, tank half full, at leclerc in Cavaillon. His car ground to a halt 10 minutes later and his Peugeot garage said that there was white spirit in the tank..............it's still a mystery and leclerc refuse to accept liaibility for the 1200 euro bill to sort the car at the garage.Fortunately he has the bill for the fuel and is pursuing the matter via his lawyer and no longer shops at leclerc.

Makes you wonder where to buy fuel. We had to abandon a car in Spain because we were frightened to motor home, the car started cutting out when idling. It was checked by two professional garages who said they couldn't find a problem. One hinted it might be the start of problems with the fuel pump. On our return home our old reliable Micra started doing the same thing. looks like we will be able to restore the Micra which is a petrol engine but the diesel in Spain is a gonner. We thought we had picked up contaminated fuel in Spain but it seems too much of a coincidence and need to change our fuel station in France. None of the repair garages mentioned fuel problem and it was only by looking on the internet and chatting that we realised what the problem might be.

It might be that lots of people with car problems don't attribute them to contaminated fuel.