Selling a LHD car

Benjamin

The subject of buying a LHD car crops up from time to time but has anyone any recommendations for selling one? Mine will be on Le Bon Coin and Angloinfo later this afternoon. My local Ford agent would love it but they have an embargo on buying in stock at the moment.

Any other suggested sites or advice? PM or email if necesssary.

Thanks Ernie. Ads on kijiji and email sent to gary-automobiles. I'll hold back on paruvendu at the moment unless anyone thinks it's a " must be on" site.

Just joined Angloinfo but for the life of me I can't see how to place an ad. Any ideas anyone?

Benjamin -

Click on 'cars and vehicles for sale' under 'classifieds' on the right of the AngloInfo page.

Then click on 'create a new private advertisement...' (under the 'selected ads' at the top of the page).

Write your ad, as if you were writing a forum post.

Sit back and wait for either floods of enquiries or for your ad to be deleted for some trivial breach of the obscure rules

(beware, most AI users tend to expect a Mercedes for a Skoda price - and you will get hundreds of requests for pictures, be asked where you are, how much/little you will take, is it French registered, does it have a CT, etc even if you have given that information in the ad)

Will

Thank you. Ad now on Angloinfo Pays de la Loire.

Ernie

What do you call an open top Skoda?................................................................a skip. The old ones are always the best.  [:D]

The guy at gary-automobiles is also a bit of a comedian. I'm priced at 15% below the garage price and he offered me half of that price. Complete waste of time.

Any other suggestions always welcome.

Yeah yeah yeah, let's get them out of the way then:

1. How do you double the price of a skoda?

Fill up the tank

2. Why do skodas have heated rear windscreens?

To keep your hands warm while your pushing it.

3. Have you got a wing mirror for a skoda?

Okay, seems like a fair swap

4. What do you call a skoda driver who say's he has a speeding ticket ?

A Dreamer

5. How do you increase the value of a skoda?

Throw a penny in it.

Ive just bought the new 16 valve Skoda .......4 in the engine, 12 in

the radio! (If you understand this and your under 40 then you need to

get out more)

7. What is the difference between being inside

Jessica Alba's ra and being caught inside a Skoda ? You feel a bigger

tit in a Skoda !

8. What do you call a Skoda at the the top of a hill ?

A miracle.

9. How do you overtake a Skoda ?

Run

10. What is the difference between a school and a Skoda?

Schools breaks up and a Skoda breaks down

11. Why is a skoda and a baby similar?

They both never go anywhere without a rattle

12. How come the Skoda crossed the street?

It was supposed to be going along it but the steering failed

13. What do you call a Skoda with a really long radio aerial?

A bumper car

14. What colour shall i get my skoda in?

It doesn't matter, it'll go brown through rust after a week

15. How do you make a policeman laugh?

Tell him your skoda just got nicked

16. I bought the top spec skoda, this one came with an engine.

17. Tom: 'I was gonna buy a passat but I bought a mondeo instead'

Harry: 'I was gonna buy a skoda but i bought a bike'

18. How do you make a skoda more sporty?

Wear adidas trainers while driving it.

19. Whats the difference between stress and a skoda?

Stress makes you have a mental breakdown.

20. [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=os16l7oeFjE&feature=player_embedded[/url]

There, does that feel better [:P]

Good Lord Ernie I'd forgotten most of those from the old deays.

As you say there's nothing wrong with the modern ones. I looked very closely at a diesel Octavia estate with an auto box before I bought the Focus and I was very impressed and had it not been for the sales person being completly indifferent I may have gone ahead.

Bad mistake and your loss, you were buying a car not a sales person [;-)]

Love mine and would have another in a shot, the joke is now on those who think they are a joke.

Have to say though that I would not entertain an auto in any guise though.

[quote user="AnOther"]

[/quote]

We don't have a choice if Mrs Benjamin is to retain her independence as she can't manage the clutch on a manual box.

Having said that I love it also. It's a CVT 7 speed auto coupled with a 1.6 Tdci engne giving 110 bhp and it goes very well. You have to be the driver and watch the rev counter or a passenger with very good hearing to even know when it changes gear.

Mine has now ben abused for over 400.000 kms and still on the original battery, exhaust etc, the only thing replaced during this time has been the bi-mass flywheel, oil and filters. I replaced the discs and pads before the last CT, they would have gone through but I got new ones dirt cheap and now have the bonus of brake judder.

My advice is buy a Skoda, dont touch it and try to run it into the ground, - you wont!

I too would love to have another one but am still trying my best to kill this one!

I've said before I'd be more than worried about my cam belt at 300 let alone 400k !

I'm fast approaching my 2nd replacement and will have it done when I'm in UK later this year (I have a trusted mate) and consider it a couple of hunderd quid well spent. I insisted on a new one when I bought it because it was due on age - 4 years - if not mileage, but the seller couldn't prove that it had been done and it has covered another 100k km or 60k miles since.

Still, if you're prepared to throw the car away when it does go bang.....................[blink]

I do start off wth good intent to do the job every summer Ern, its just after having removed the covers, judged what special tools etc are needed, taken a sharp intake of breath and once again checked the condition of the old/original one the new belt just gets put back on the garage shelf.

If it starts loking perished then I will change it, I know that one of the pulleys or tensioners could let go but in my experience the original fitments always outlast aftermarket OEM ones which is why I reckon my belt is the original one.

Other than the inconvenience of where the car might be if and when it finally lets go (my tools are in the UK) it wont be a huge job to sling on another cylinder head or change the motor.

Another reason for my laziness is that for 3 years now I have been waiting to buy the Touran with DSG gearbox that my chauffeur mate replaced the Skoda with, I always hope that he wil get bored and trade up again but he has held on to it for longer and his mileage is now well beyond what the Skoda has, I think he has done more than 400,000 miles now.

It has not been as reliable as the Skoda but then he has kept it longer and done more miles in it

One very sick one - why is a Skoda safer than a Mercedes Benz - Lady Di would not have been seen dead in a Skoda.

What do you call a convertable Skoda - a Skip

The heated rear window one is fun. The Skoda rally team who won the RAC small capacity for over a decade used to fit the heated rear window to the windscreen as Skodas of than vintage used the same glass front and rear to save tooling costs. I used to autocross with John Haugland

Skoda also put a ringer in for an Autocar roadtest post VW takeover and new models. They somehow build an Octavia with the Audi 130 BHP lump only possible explanation for the roadtest figures. VAG could neither admit it or deny it.

I believe, and please correct me if I am wrong (this comes from an insider at Ricardo) that VAG prefer to use the latest generation of powertrain on Skoda models first, whether its pessimistic damage limitation or just to see how they take the abuse and neglect from taxi drivers I dont know.

I should perhaps have said preferred as the info is over 5 years old.

The first of the 6 speed DSG gearboxes were to have gone into the 2005 Octavia but there was a shortage and the option was removed, my friend had one on order and ended up getting one in the Touran instead.

Haven't seen the test but I can't imagine any motoring hack worthy of the name being fooled into mistaking a 130bhp car for a 90bhp one, especially as the Golf underpinnings were so well known.

Even if they didn't have an opportunity to rolling road it just knowing the rough weight and the alleged bhp should have given the game away.

The advantage would be dubious anyway. If I'd bought one based on the performance figures of a 130bhp and found it came up as woefully short as it would with only 90 I'd be very angry indeed and would be banging on the dealers door.

My 110bhp Octavia replaced a 90bhp MKIV Golf, in essence the same car, and I can tell you that the difference just that 20bhp makes is very noticeable.

[quote user="AnOther"]Bad mistake and your loss, you were buying a car not a sales person [;-)]

[/quote]

The sales person is "front of house" as far as I am concerned and a bad showing by him/her says a lot about the rest of the staff. Buying a car is only part of it; unless you don't intend ever going back there then it's vitally important that you get the correct level of service from everyone who works there.

[quote user="Benjamin"][quote user="AnOther"]

[/quote]

How many have you owned or driven Ernie, and what were they?

[/quote]

Is that a 'No' then Ernie?  [:D]

One correction sorry it was 110 versus 90. Both Car and Autocar tested the same car. Autocar did what they normally do in the circumstances which is to publish another roadtest some months later with the corrected figures. Car owned up to it three months later. Check out the original performance figures for the E type Jaguar and ask if that car was not gas flowed and blue printed. The first time I am aware of this happening was the Ford Cortina 1600 where the 1600 GT struggled to equal the original road test and low and behold a revised an lower set of figures quitely arrived four months latter. 50 to 110 mph in top gear works as a test of power but I could never persuade myself to do what is neccesary to equal road test acceleration figures on any road car I have built.

Are you talking about sidestepping the clutch at 5000 rpm?

Best left for company cars [:D]

I once had a clutch mysteriously explode on my company Sierra XR4*4, having synchromesh on reverse gear was just too much of a temptation [;-)]

[quote user="Benjamin"][quote user="AnOther"]

[/quote]

How many have you owned or driven Ernie, and what were they?

[/quote]No it's not a no.

Despite what I said I have remembered that I did very briefly own one, a Marina of all things, and it was a long time ago, but it was given to me and I got shot of it as soon as humanly possible, but I driven probably dozens.

In UK I've driven my pals XK8 and his Jeep plus another pals Merc. On recent trips to Germany I've driven an at irresponsible speeds on the autobhan, an SLK Merc, a 4.2l Diesel Q7, a 2.0Tdi Passat and a W10 Pheaton. Before that, in my years in the Middle East, I drove god knows how many yank monsrosities and in New Zealand where it's virtually impossible to hire a manual, I drove a brace or two there so I am not without experience.

On top of that there have been a handful or hire cars, most so

nondescript and boring that I couldn't even hazard a guess at what they

were now although one will remain indelibly stamped on my brain, a

Nissan Micra in PINK, the one and only vehicle the hire company had

left so no choice.

Your point is then..................................?