Argus versus La Centrale

Judie

Can someone help.

When I work out the value of my car on La Centrale, it gives me a figure of just under 6000 euros.

The garage that I wish to sell it to, who I bought it from a couple of year ago, say that the value on Argus is just under 4000 euros. They only want to offer me 2000 euros.

Why is there a difference?

I wasn't aware that there was a difference.  When our car was written off a couple of years ago, I used La Centrale because it's free whereas Argus make you pay a fee by credit card. 

Our insurer assessor's offer was spot on against the La Centrale cote.....[8-|]

[quote user="woolybanana"]Could they be trying it on? Anglo, girlie, doesnt know much etc?[/quote]

By no stretch of the imagination could I be called a girlie and my french is reasonably good so we did have a bit of a difference of opinion.

He has promised to show me the Argus quote when I go to see him.

I'll take my La Centrale quote, and Will (Mr Judie).

Thanks.

So much for all the posters saying buy a LHD car in France, it may cost you more but you will get more when you sell it.

I assume the car wasnt new when you bought it a couple of years ago.

I dont know about the difference between the Argus and La Centrale values but the difference between the €2k and €4-6k is the garages profit when they resell it.

Having helped a friend buy a second hand car from a main dealer (Peugeot) two years ago, she recently tried to get them to buy it back as she has no need for it.  The garage would not even entertain the idea - only if she was trading it in for another one.   Its now in a smaller village garage for sale.  The owner admitted that the Argus and Centrale estimates were in his opinion inflated when it comes to what a professional would pay for the car.  He is selling it as a "depôt vente" but not charging a commision (he hopes the buyer will continue to use him after the sale).  The price was fixed at what our friend wanted for the car (second hand when bought from a dealer, now 4000 euros cheaper and about 1000 under valuation, 2003 206 SW auto).

Why not sell the car privately at the market rate for the same model?

Hi folks,

Ive been living in France for a few years now and have a few friends that work in the car industry...

The "Centrale" calculates your car's worth based upon an average of the ads it picks up on its website.

The "Argus" is the official (Glasses french equivalent) guide for all trade value of cars. Ie: when you buy a car check the argus value and try and get the closest you can to the value it says in the magazine.

Common practice for garages is basically to say: we'll not even give you the Argus because the market is tough etc etc. End of the day they will sell it on for above the Argus value.

All things considered - if anyone is selling a second hand car under €4k mark I may well be interested!