Peugot Partner Fuel Tank Inspection Hatch

Suninfrance

Our car, the Peugot Partner, has developed a small fuel leak.  Took the car to the garage and he can't find a leak from the bottom of the tank and they think it may be the seal at the top of the tank.  In most cars, you can remove the carpets from the back and there is an inspection hatch for the fuel tank - but not on our car - or not that we can see.  Any clues anyone????  The car is booked in to go  back to the garage tomorrow and looks like it's going to cost an arm and leg because they will have to dismantle the exhaust and remove the tank to see if the leak is at the top.

Surely there must be an inspection hatch somewhere.

Is there anyone out there who might be able to tell me where else we can look for it before it goes to the garage tomorrow morning.

Look forward to your replies.

Jan

Is it petrol or diesel?  What year is it?  Any other info like does the smell come though the vents, have you noticed any rainbow's in puddles under your car and if so were they front or rear?  I know lots of Pug mechanics but none I can contact at this time of night.

Almost all cars have a hole in the top of the tank, this is where the fuel pump and level sender is installed. However, with yours being a diesel yours might not have a pump but there will still be a hole through which your level sender is installed.  Forgot to ask, is it an HDi?  HDi's have a primer pump at the tank and a high pressure pump on the engine (if it's HDi then never run it low on diesel, it can ruin the pump and they can cost up to £1k to sort). 

Not many manufacturers put access holes in the body work to get to this hole, it's usually a tank off job, no biggy to be honest, should only take an hour or two max, removing the exhaust can cause a bit of a problem if any bolts shear but I would get it done working on the floor within a couple of hours.  Maybe the mechanic is trying to big his part up a bit?

Had a chat with a Pug mechanic friend of mine, he's worked on them almost all of his life.  He said they have a plastic tank (as I thought) and there is a big thread where the sender/inspection cover goes, these are a pain in the bum to fit apparently and could be the cause of the fuel leak.  The tank needs to be removed to gain access.  HTH

Ian

Were supposed to collect the car today, but when we arrived, it's still up on the ramps awaiting a new fuel tank.  There were actually 2 splits in the tank, one which would have been fixed with a new seal, but the other could not be fixed.  Mechanic suggested we only quarter filled the tank if we didn't want to have it fixed.  Bye bye €300 for a new tank.  Just what we needed (NOT) after just moving house.