Rental Car

sueyh

Due to my hubby having a little accident with our car, we are using a Europcar hire car at the moment (on our car insurance) while our car is being repaired. Yesterday we had a puncture on the hire car and the tyre was too damaged to repair, so Europcar said we can either have the (low profile) tyre replaced or pay Europcar 200 euros and they would sort it out direct with the garage. Needless to say we ordered the tyre from the garage and only paid 110 euros plus fitting.

When my husband went to change the tyre immediately after the puncture we found that the emergency spare was also flat. We therefore had to walk home to get a foot pump (2 km). Not too efficient on the part of Europcar and lucky that it did not happen miles from home!! Has anyone else had the same sort of experience with hire cars.

Make sure you check the spare before venturing out.

Suey

Considering the two occasions when I've used Europcar in Spain, on returning the car the first check they made was if the spare was in place - and inflated.

Hire car from CDG airport had two under inflated tyres and oil level below minimum level. Profuse apologies from the desk staff with the excuse I had been allocated the wrong vehicle. As a gesture of good will, they kindly offered me a rather splendid model from a higher group at the original price.

I did wonder whether the next punter through the door woud be the unforunate soul to drive off in what was basically an unsafe vehicle!

Sometimes you wonder if hire cars ever really get checked at all.  Picked up a car at Miami years ago, drove 30 or so miles to hotel.  Following morning saw small pool of liquid under car.  Opened bonnet.  There was no dipstick; engine and engine bay covered in oil.  Rang the company who said to just take it back and they'd swap it.  Yeh, right.  Drive a car back along the interstate as it spews oil all over the place.  Er, no.  Anyway, they came to the hotel with another car (slight upgrade) and drove the other away.  Wonder where the engine went 'pop'?