Termite treated wood

How can you tell if wood has been treated against termites? A friend had an extension built with exposed beams 2-3 years ago and is concerned about termites. Definitely we are in a termite zone. Another friend said the wood may have been treated before being bought by the builder, in which case she need not have the treatment done. The 'builder' was one of those dodgy Brits who take a lot of money and do a poor, unfinished job and has now vanished so can't answer this.

AFAIK you can't. If the builder supplied a detailed devis then it would possibly have been mentioned, as pre-treated wood is more expensive, but if you're looking for tell-tale signs of treated wood AND trying to see them through a layer of varnish, you might just as well go outside and have a look for some rocking-horse poo. IMO.[:D]

[quote user="andyh4"]I am sure I have read somewhere that treated timber is guaranteed for 3 months only - so probably out of guarantee before you get to use the building.[/quote]

Actually, at the risk of not being helpful enough, pre-treated (i.e. bought as treated) timber is supposed to be guaranteed for up to 10 years, but as the people concerned have no evidence that it was, then that isn't much use.