How about that

Val_2

I kept my VW Sirocco GTX that I bought new in 85 when we came to France and re-registered it here. When the kids grew huge we bought a bigger family car and the VW was consigned to our workshop where she was used intermittently until 2005 and then covered up. Anyway we have to clear our workshop and decided to ask our local mechanic to come and have a look at her. He brought along a battery, connected it and turned the key - the engine started on that first turn and it only had dregs of petrol that had been in there since 2005 and one spark plug that fired. He was so amazed at this and the fact it is an aluminium engine and steel body so no corrosion anywhere that he took her back tohis garage and is doing her up for us as a long term project with his apprentice and using parts he can find so no huge expense and then he will photograph her and advertise his work. I nearly scrapped her too thinking it was going to cost heaps to get back on the road but my brother told me they were very sought after nowadays and looking on the net you can see why,  renewing the insurance was easy and it will be nice to drive around in the old girl again. Shame they don't make them that reliable these days! Another three years or so and she maybe classed as a classic car.

Its a VW of course it will start.

In my days of working on them I was once asked by a customer to retrieve a Beetle that he had found literally in a hedge.

We went out with the trailer and found a 1952 VW with the hedge actually growing through it. We cut it out, winched it onto the trailer and took it back to the workshop.

We connected a battery (6 volt), poured some fuel straight into the mouth of the carburetor and the bloody thing started - amazing.

I can "one upman" that!!! Though not a VW.

I worked at a motor museum, and the owner imported a 1914 LaFrance fire engine, originally used in "Bugtustle". 15 litres, chain drive it still had it's ladders and buckets on it, though the red paint was somewhat faded, but it had benefitted from being stored near Los Angeles. On arrival, the yres were pumped up, and it was towed out of the sea contaner, an egg cup full of wd40 down each barrel (thanks to it having priming taps on the heads), left over night, an she turned on the handle. Fresh petrol, a freshly charged battery on the trembler ignition and two turns later, she was running. I even took the thing around the test track, very very heavy steering, two feet on the (right hand side) brake pedal to stop, but still it was brilliant. It was sold and coverted into a two seat roadster, which seemed a hell of a shame.

So, how about some advice please.

I have a diesel Golf, mid-80s vintage that has been parked up for a few years now.  I know it needs a new battery but I can get it to turn over on a fully charged 'emergency jumpt start'  thingies.  What can  I do to encourage it into life again?

If it been standing that long I would recommend the following.

1. Remove the top cover and carefully check the cam-belt for cracks and deterioration.

2. Drain the fuel filter and refill with fresh diesel.

3.Remove the air-filter when first attempting to get it going (replace later)

4. Any way you can warm the engine/oil will help. Those lovely old paraffin sump heaters are perfect, if you can find one.

I don't personally, like using 'Easy-start' as its vicious and, as Chancer says, prolonged use ends up with the motor refusing to start without it.

Once you have it going run it up until the electric fan kicks in and then switch off, drain out the old oil and replace along with the filter.

[quote user="Chancer"]

Remove the air filter trunking and spray some easy start down the manifold, it should fire up immediately albeit with lots of knocking.

Dont use the easy start too often as diesel engines become addicted to it, I am being serious.[/quote]

Be very careful with your application of Easy Start if you must use it at all!

A farmer near me narrowly escaped serious injury when his old tractor engine exploded through over application.

If I was you I'd go for a new battery and heater plugs. In fact unless I'm very much mistaken, Easy Start should NEVER be used on a diesel engine fitted with a pre-heater.

[quote user="Chancer"]

Dont use the easy start too often as diesel engines become addicted to it, I am being serious.

[/quote]

Is that like glue sniffing for engines........?  [;-)]

Back in the 60's a friend of the family who had a contract to do the Xmas post offered me a job driving his J2 van, collecting the sacks from the sub post offices and delivering them to the main Newcastle sorting office. He warned me never to try starting it without first giving it a quick spray of Easy Start.