End of SECAM thread drift to GPS

pachapapa

[quote user="Salty Sam"]

[quote user="Martin963"]I wonder how many people have woken up this morning to find their Atlantic Bird 3 *analogue* reception has (almost) gone....

Self explanatory Fransat promo on France 2,  TF1 still on last time I looked, as is C+.    But France 3 and 5/Arte have gone,  transponder actually switched off.

I shall miss SECAM,  under ideal reception conditions it actually works slightly better than PAL in my view.

And of course the last analogue terrestrial region (Languedoc-Rousillon) also went all-digital last night.[/quote]

France was scheduled to close down its analogue channels on Atlantic Bird 3 sometime during November.

The last remaining German analogue TV channels can be found on Astra 1, but these will go on April 30th, 2012 at 03:00 hrs. German efficiency allows them to be a bit more specific with an actual time and date for a shut down, rather than a "sometime in November, but we'll let you know once it's happened".[:)]

PPP - Care to share with us the actual date when the use of GPS with speed camera databases, becomes illegal ?

[/quote]

The 29/11/11 was widely advertised in france, including cardboard posters in my local hyper market.

Sililarly the "avertisseur de radar" now colloquially known as "avertisseur de danger".

But try:

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/2644476/ShowPost.aspx#2644476

[I]

[quote user="pachapapa"]

The 29/11/11 was widely advertised in france, including cardboard posters in my local hyper market.

Sililarly the "avertisseur de radar" now colloquially known as "avertisseur de danger".

But try:

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/2644476/ShowPost.aspx#2644476

[I][/quote]

Not being a fully integrated French speaker, I missed the advertised cut off dates on my last visitation as a tourist ! Nor did I see the cardboard poster announcements which must have been hidden amongst the posters announcing the arrival of TinTin the movie !

Also the widely advertised date failed to reach the media publications specializing in European satellite transmissions for English speakers !

Thank you for the link, but I'm not sure this is applicable to "GPS navigators", by which I take you mean Garmin, TomTom, etc. The manufacturer examples in the Francesoir article are not navigation devices. 

The latest update for TomTom's appears to meet this 300m to 4km requirement although I have to say both in France and Spain mine often starts the countdown and when we go past there is nothing there. There is one on the dual carriageway going in to Perpignan that comes up but it seems a 'stone chip' about the size of a cricket ball has appeared on the camera lens. To be truthful it should not be a problem if you keep to the speed limits and motorway limits I feel are quite fast enough in France and Spain (although many Spanish drivers, and a few French, appear not to agree with me on that count judging the speeds they drive at). Also, f you have a TomTom (and probably others do the same) I get an alarm if I accidentally drive too fast irregardless of if there is a speed camera or not. It's so bloody annoying that you soon slow down.

[quote user="pachapapa"]OT! TF1 lunchtime news....amende € 1200.....and 6 points off the "permis".[:D][:-))][/quote]

Misheard the maximum fine it is € 1500 not € 1200.

No idea about UK GPS navigators but in france Tom Toms are popular. The radar trap software and data compatible with the Tom Tom is provided by Coyote, they used to give warning on fixed and mobile radar traps, now they do not.

More correctly the onus is on the user of the Tom Tom to do the update so that compliance is achieved with new regulations.

The implications for a foreigner entering france is fairly obvious.

http://coyote2.fredfarid.typhon.net/home/faq

[quote user="Quillan"]I have had a TomTom for about three years now and it's is updated every month. Never has it given me information on mobile speed camera's, fixed yes but never mobile.[/quote]

True but still on the Tom Tom publicity display in Leclerc Parthenay.

Today the sales assistant told me also that there would be future changes to which I replied, that they had happened yesterday.[:D]

just lifted this from a French news site:- translated (badly) by google translate The big news is the prohibition to report the precise location of radar . just following may be mentioned, of " risk areas "that will extend over a length of road: - 300 m in town - 2 km on the roads - 4 km on the highway. These devices must issue you a number of messages of caution. Both when they start, that during the trip. And, as you drive, they must notify you of any events that may represent a "danger": a steep slope, a crossing, a narrow carriageway, a tight bend. In the end, you will be asked by lots of different alerts. And it is precisely the idea of not having the only device targeted radars. The "warning" radar you shall be put to nouevlles standards . More questions using your device as is, with the precise location - point - radar. It must be the new standards, tomorrow. And it's up to you to perform this update. reconfigure, going on the Internet. Except for the Coyote - on which this reprogramming is automatic. But if not, we must make this update. Under heavy penalties: a fine of € 3,750, and a withdrawal of 6 points! And there will be no grace period. That said, in French law, a police officer or a constable has not the right for a simple traffic stop to perform a search in your car. Neither of the menu to navigate through an electronic device. Only a customs may conduct such audits So, in fact, it will be very difficult for a police officer you verbalize to a former "radar warning" not changed under the new standards. Oh I'm glad that's all sorted then! Copied from another forum, credit to FB. .

I love to quibble.

2 km route nationale rather than road, 4 km autoroute rather than highway, Coyote will or will have updated the Tom Tom automatically during the 4 month stipulated period by the french authorities BUT the owner of an iPhone 4 will have to personally acticate the "mise à jour"/update.

However I have my doubts that all this will be equally transparent for the Brit tourist.

The topic posed under the "avertisseur de radar" thread on this forum drew little response.[:P]

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/2644476/ShowPost.aspx

Received from Garmin Europe a few minutes ago;

[quote] Thank you for contacting Garmin Europe.

Looking into this for you, we have been informed that safety camera
database will become illegal on the 1st of January. We are currently
working on a software update that will be ready to release around this
date. Until that date, there will not be any updates being released. If
you have any further questions, do let me know and I will assist you
further.
[/quote]

[quote user="Salty Sam"]

Received from Garmin Europe a few minutes ago;

[quote] Thank you for contacting Garmin Europe.

Looking into this for you, we have been informed that safety camera
database will become illegal on the 1st of January. We are currently
working on a software update that will be ready to release around this
date. Until that date, there will not be any updates being released. If
you have any further questions, do let me know and I will assist you
further.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Indeed!

There would appear to be gap between the illegality entering into force, the OK by the Conseil d'etat on the legality of the measure, then the Sécurité Routière decree implementing the measure, the appearance in the Journal Officiel finalising the date and FINALLY the distribution by the authorities ( departmental préféts also get in on the act) of the data identifying the new zones of danger.

Are you checking the JO everyday for the publishing of the decree?

Good! You are! Let me know when it sees the light of day.[:P]

The submission from Garmin Europe was for information as to when an update would be available, for the benefit of other Garmin users on this forum.

It wasn't posted for your benefit, and I think your time would be far better spent learning how to reduce the size of images you choose to post, and providing credit to whichever site you 'borrowed' it from. Your legal background obviously failed to address copyright law! 

I'm sure your extensive knowledge of using Google will provide instructions easily enough, just as you found the out of date information regarding the tie in between TomTom and Coyote!

[quote user="Salty Sam"]

The submission from Garmin Europe was for information as to when an update would be available, for the benefit of other Garmin users on this forum.

It wasn't posted for your benefit, and I think your time would be far better spent learning how to reduce the size of images you choose to post, and providing credit to whichever site you 'borrowed' it from. Your legal background obviously failed to address copyright law! 

I'm sure your extensive knowledge of using Google will provide instructions easily enough, just as you found the out of date information regarding the tie in between TomTom and Coyote!

[/quote]

The source of the image is contained in the properties of the image...http:://www.ladepeche.fr/content/item/media/image/infographie/Radars.JPG...the image has at no stage been copied or stored in a personal account such as flickr...the image is actually resident in the files of La Dépeche...the effect is to draw customers towards that website. In fact by changing the size of the image there would be a tacit interference with the copyright as this would not be possible without changing the La Dépeche URL.

I dont understand your comment about Tom Tom and Coyote. What is a tie-in.?

Your comments are almost gleefull PPP, you remind me so much of Barry on Eggheads. [:D]

Just for others I can tell you that I pass a couple of fixed speed camera's reasonably reguarily and they both show up on my TomTom. Prior to my visit to Spain last week I did an update (I always do one once a month anyway as it's free) and since then the two speed cameras do not show up but the cameras are still there and I know one functions because somebody went hacking past me and got 'flashed'.

I am heartened to see that the Tom Tom users are getting good experienced feedback on the "tool  for help in driving" saga.

Whilst on monday and tuesday the media was full of dire warnings of immediate retribution, the crucial decree seems still to be published.

If Claude Guéant's clowns will only have the map ready on the 18th january, it will be the end of january before the bazooka fires.

Garmin seem to be rocking the boat, contrary to the protocole of the 28th july last, now asserting that nothing will progress until the CISR approve.

The CISR have a history of plenary meetings once a year, so Claude Guéant's clowns may have to be patient.

From the Garmin france site, all is explained. Perhaps![:)]

Definitely yet another Dwarf's government administrative frig-up to keep tabs on.

http://www.garmin.com/fr/company/presse/annonce-cisr-avertisseur-radar/

[quote user="f1steveuk"]I got an email from Garmin UK yesterday saying simply that they are aware, are looking into it, not to worry, and they'll let me know!
[/quote]

Most people have been mildly cognisant of the issue since the signing of the protocole on the 28th july 2011.

Basically a prorogation of the ban on the " avertisseur de radar" function. Although Tom Tom a GPS Navigator provider has complied with the prorogation through its association with Coyote who supply the "warnings" as a complement to their principal product.

Another well known GPS Navigator provider, who apparently have their own in house radar warning software, would appear not to be subject to the prorogation given to entreprises such as Coyote to mention one.

It is possible that the well known GPS provider is unaware of the legal implications of not being included in the prorogative protocole. 

[quote user="pachapapa"]

It is possible that the well known GPS provider is unaware of the legal implications of not being included in the prorogative protocole. [/quote]

May I suggest that you contact the "well known GPS provider" and offer them the benefit of your legal expertise in this matter, as I'm sure they would appreciate it!

Oh, and please report back here when you have a response.

Another and different "well known GPS provider" informs that the implementation of the pretty stick on compliance notices will resolve the issue in a determinative manner, in the favour of enterprises that are signatories to the prorogation agreed in the protocol dated the 28th of july 2011.

Oh! M. Gendarme no I aint got a sticker on mine.[:D]

• 4 weeks later...
I finally got a response from Garmin yesterday. Baring in mind this has been in the offing since last May, and I contacted them in over a month ago, they have leapt into action and told me to "switch off the database on my unit" !!!! Brilliant, never thought of that.

I have replied asking how this would sit with those who may have just paid the hefty subscription charge to renew, who brought their units based on the fact the dadtbase WAS on their system, or why TomTom have a solution in place, and that some have said that simply having the database is against the law, etc etc

Now I'm waiting for a response, which by recent history will be next January.