UK Insurance

Araucaria

Yes, I do know this section is "Driving in France" !

Has anyone who is resident in France obtained UK insurance for a UK registered (etc) car which is permanently kept in the UK?

This is the corresponding question to the one about people with second homes in France who keep a car in France for occasional, if regular, French use.

The OH and I go back to the UK from time to time and it would be convenient to keep a small cheap car there (at my daughter's house) for us to use when we visit. I'd only be looking for the most basic insurance cover (what used to be third party, fire and theft?) as the car isn't worth very much ....

I'm asking because the last time I tried to put myself as an extra temporary driver onto my daughter's insurance, one of the questions asked by the insurer was whether I was resident in the UK.

Wonderfully at times fully comprehensive insurance is cheaper than Third Party Fire & Theft - go figure.

Also wonderful that we are in this great Union where the Union has all these holes.

Did not one of the large transport firms decide to register their tractor units in Holland because it was cheaper than paying UK RFL but did not last long.

Paul

[quote user="PaulT"]Wonderfully at times fully comprehensive insurance is cheaper than Third Party Fire & Theft - go figure.[/quote]That's an easy one.

[url]http://www.lovemoney.com/news/insurance/insurance/1068/comprehensive-cheaper-than-tpft[/url]

As for the Union, unfortunately whilst car insurance remains a private sector undertaking Brussels has absolutely no power whatsoever to dictate who they choose to insure or under what terms. Similarly with the UK banks, if they choose to refuse non UK residents that is their right.

[quote user="AnOther"][As for the Union, unfortunately whilst car insurance remains a private sector undertaking Brussels has absolutely no power whatsoever to dictate who they choose to insure or under what terms.
[/quote]

What about making the cost for male and females the same to prevent discrimination even though claims for women drivers are lower than men.

This also applies to annuities.

Paul