Van use whilst renovating

redwood

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Yes that will be the situation at the start - need to get pensions and tax sorted out etc. Eventually I think I'll go for French tax residency but during the renovation stage I'll be 100% Brit. I think there are ways around the issue but it seems a pain to have to b****r around so much just because of UK regs that are petty. Still where there is a will there's a way!

[quote user="NickP"]The easy answer is to get the French Van registered in the wifes name, then she can hire it out to you and you would be legal to drive it in the UK. Simples! [:D][/quote]I think the cost of setting oneself up as a bona fide car/van hire company in France might slightly exceed the benefits of such a scheme !

[quote user="redwood"]Eventually I think I'll go for French tax residency but during the

renovation stage I'll be 100% Brit. I think there are ways around the

issue but it seems a pain to have to b****r around so much just because

of UK regs that are petty. Still where there is a will there's a way![/quote]OK peeps, on yer marks - get set - GO !

[quote user="AnOther"][quote user="NickP"]The easy answer is to get the French Van registered in the wifes name, then she can hire it out to you and you would be legal to drive it in the UK. Simples! [:D][/quote]I think the cost of setting oneself up as a bona fide car/van hire company in France might slightly exceed the benefits of such a scheme !

[/quote]

Careful AnO people might think you're taking this suggestion seriously. [Www]

• 2 months later...

I have both a van and a car and both have towbars are British Registered and legal to tow a trailer in theory if I was spending significant time in France I could alternate or decide which vehicle was most appropriate to needs for the next while. Cross that bridge when I get to it I guess