Snow chains

PaulT

Having changed cars my old set of chains are now no good - in addition, the twice that I used them they were an absolute pain to fit, such that I actually took the wheels off to fit them.

I would like some recommendations on what to buy for the new car that are effective and easy to fit.

Thanks

Paul

Thanks Idun and Clair.

However, the thread mostly centres around winter tyres which I shall be fitting due to where we now live in the UK and extended breaks in France in winter. I have gone the simplest route, another set of rims for the winter tyres.

I shall also be purchasing a set of chains as well so this request was for information about easy to fit chains.

Currently looking a the Thule CU-9 (12 seconds to fit) and CG-9 but was keen to hear other thoughts.

Paul

Having owned lots of different cars and holidayed in the Alps we have used different types. Thule are good and you may be able to fit them in 12 seconds on a warm day but it is usually freezing cold and dark !! Also you often only need them for a short time before hitting cleared roads. While I have real chains for my truck we have some Michelin 'Easy Grip'' for my wifes car which are excellent, several friends here also have them and swear by them ( you can even buy them to fit on your boots !! )

A good tip also is to cut the sleeves off an old thick shirt so you can slip them on - it stops your jacket getting all mucky under the wheel arches

And there was me thinking that we had discussed fitting chains on freezing snowy, winter nights. There is no quick way as far as I am concerned, just some are quicker than others. Horrible job, but when they are needed, they are needed, so no option when the road ahead requires them. And I personally liked to get them on sooner rather than later, having to put them on because I was stuck, never seemed like a good option and could be on a dangerous bit of road.

• 5 weeks later...