After gilets and ethylotests what next?

Chancer

Sounds fair enough, provided they put up warning signs when one is entering and leaving a brasserie-free zone.

Actually, we used to regularly travel across France a few years ago, and always carried enough food to get us to the spanish border after we discovered it was illegal to serve lunch after 2pm.

It only took a couple of arrivals at roadside restaurants at around 1345, to be confronted with the patron waving his arms, pointing at his watch and looking at me as if I were out of my mind to want to bring 4 extra customers into his almost empty establishment at such a ridiculous hour, to convince me it was easier to carry our own food than to plan our travels around french restaurant hours.[:D]

We have solved the problem when travelling these days by marking all the best "Les Routiers" stops on our maps, and picking one when we get hungry. And they don't usually care what time you turn up[:D]

Our biggest disappointment was in Paris, in 1983, when we moored in the Bastille marina on our way north via the canals.

We climbed up the steps to the street above and picked our restaurant for a nice dinner to celebrate our arrival.

After showering and changing into civilised clothes we all climbed back up to the street, only to find it in darkness, and all the restaurants closed - at 8pm - in Paris!

We managed to persuade an italian restaurant, just about to close, to serve up a basic spag bol each, as we couldn't be bothered to go back and start cooking on the boat.

That was our childrens' first, and lasting impression of Paris[:(]