NEW BUILD

brian

I am a builder in the UK and now want to retire to France and build my own house.   Do I need an Architect or just a Structural Engineer to approve my CAD Plans,  what restrictions are there regarding self build and can I do the wiring and just get it tested and approved by a local electrician?

Is there a time limit from approval to completion?[Z]

You can design your own house without an architect provided it has living space of less than 170 square metres. Our permit to build was granted for 3 years, I think, and there is a small final planning payment to make on it's 3rd anniversary! We thoroughly enjoyed the project. Our most important decision was probably to engage a local french builder since 'local' building practice and products differs in many many ways, big and small, from my own experience back in the UK. Good luck.

hi brian,im doing a fair sized barn conversion thats classed as a new build,if you have drawings made up in the uk and its over 170 m2 you need a french arcihitect to put his stamp on them,same with electric you can do it but you have to pay to have it checked and stamped up .apart from that its.prity easy going here compared to the uk. there is stuff you need to know for your drawings like windows,in most cases you wont get plans passed  if they are wider than tall,and off the shelf ones are all made like that